Exhaust Sequential Order of Mods

I took possession of a 93 LX hatchback about a month ago and the fun has already started. First the car was overheating so I replaced the thermostat and that seemed to have done the trick. Then I noticed an oil leak coming from the pan so I am currently in the process of replacing the cork gasket with the motor in the car. Low and behold when I slide underneath one of the heads of the bolts is snapped off so I am going to try and extract it because I like to do stuff right and not half a**.

Anyways basically I have been trying to fix everything wrong with the car before I started slapping on mods. My question is when I have the tranny out of the car (because 2nd gear is grinding, but only when I don't granny shift) should I take advantage of that and put long tubes and do my exhaust then? Basically I am wanting to fix everything on the car and then tackle the suspension and exhaust and then I can start having fun working on the topside of the car with bolt-ons and then H/C/I in about 6 months....

• Sponsors (?)

Basically if I am going to have stuff out to fix or upgrade I don't want to have to take it out again. I've heard long tube headers are a b**** to install, but maybe the tranny doesn't even get in the way of that if it's still in the car. I am trying to work smarter not harder here! :)

I have a rule. Well actually several rules
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If the exhaust ain't leaking, hanging low or rusted out leave it until you have a plan.
Fix the leaks.
Check for codes, fix any issues while stock (not adding modifications) until it runs, drives in the stock configuration
On the main 5.0 tech forum select 5.0 technical/how to thread for procedures for things like checking for codes and fixing stalling/idle issues.
Keep us posted on what your doing to your stang.
Long tube headers are 'old school cool' but in reality you likely can use shorties, the difference is marginal and they can be easier to deal with later on.
I run long tube headers but I am used to them.