Serious Anti Lock Brake Problem

Greetings members.

2011 V6 Mustang. The following has happened twice in the 4 months I've owned the car (purchased new).

In both cases the car was warm but had been sitting for 30-60 minutes. In both cases I had driven just a few blocks or less. In both cases I had the car pointed straight and true, no loss of traction, rear wheel never broke loose, etc.

So I floor it and the car takes off just like it should, car is accelerating nice, everything is good in the world. Then...all of sudden there is thumping and knocking, I go to the brake and the pedal is pushing back, not acting right, sounds like a tire is off a front wheel, car feels awful! What the hell?? I pull over and check things out, all is normal.

The first time it happened that was the end of the event. I took it in and the dealer found nothing.

Second time was Friday and after pulling over for a look I got back in and took off (not hard, just normal) and whatever was going on, was still going on somewhat. I pull over again, check lug nuts, calipers and even touched the rotor...that was a mistake!! Very hot. Now remember, the car had been sitting for an hour and had been driven about 5 blocks with just the two brief stops I made to inspect the car. Anybody got any ice? :)

I really think that ABS is engaging on its own, under hard acceleration and for no reason. I'm not a two-foot driver, brake pedal was not being touched. Car was not loosing traction anywhere, for any reason, ever. Just accelerating hard, in a straight line (having a good time!).

I have cornered this car pretty hard, I did have to panic stop once (between the two events, not related to either event), never has this car been anything but pure, she reacts true every time.

I'm thinking the hard acceleration, under the right conditions, is engaging the ABS system (computer is shorting out, vibration maybe, something is sure wrong).

Anybody else had anything like this happen?

Thanks,
SSG

• Sponsors (?)

Hi, I have a 3.7L as well and have felt similar sensations in performance situations. I feel that it is not an issue with the ABS as much as it is the traction control. Even when it is turned off there is still some degree of intervention. But as to your remark about the pedal pushing back under hard braking, that's what ABS feels like when it kicks in. I'm not sure if I am understanding you correctly. Maybe you were not sure what ABS felt like in the 2011? I don't know.

Yeah, I have experienced ABS and that's what it felt like. Problem is what is going on when I'm not losing traction in any way and I'm not braking? I'm going 65 to 70 MPH, right around first shift point and I'm on dry pavement. There is no reason for anything to "kick in," little lone something that would make you thing you have a totally flat tire, or worse. Even as I have slowed to less than 10 MPH and I'm pulling off the street, it is still acting strange, knocking/thumping, brake pedal not feeling right. Really strange.

It's only done it twice in 4500 miles. Dealer looked at the car the first time it happened and I guess whatever is going on, it doesn't leave any code. I'm taking it in Tuesday and I will tell them exactly what the circumstances/conditions were, so perhaps they can reproduce it.

Here's a little thing to know about dealerships...They won't try any fix unless they are pretty sure it's the right fix. This is because of the lemon-law. Every repair counts against the lemon-law counter. So they will not "try" replacing a sensor. If the car doesn't do what I'm describing while they're driving it, the problem doesn't exist, period.

I've told them, look, if you experience what I'm describing and it doesn't leave a code in the computer, what are you going to replace/repair? You are going to have to guess aren't you? Why not just go based on what I'm describing? Do you really think it's going to be any different when it happens to you?

I can tell you right now, forget it. They will not repair/replace anything, period. No Ford dealer will be reimbursed by Ford if they can't document the problem before the repair/replace. I understand their position, it's just tough going if you have an intermittent problem.

Hi, I have a 3.7L as well and have felt similar sensations in performance situations. I feel that it is not an issue with the ABS as much as it is the traction control. Even when it is turned off there is still some degree of intervention. But as to your remark about the pedal pushing back under hard braking, that's what ABS feels like when it kicks in. I'm not sure if I am understanding you correctly. Maybe you were not sure what ABS felt like in the 2011? I don't know.

I would pull the T/C fuse and try again.

Hey, I'm having this happen to my 2012 V6 Mustang also. Did you ever get this problem resolved. The dealership has been extremely unhelpful and I have been driving with traction control off for the past 4 months and it hasn't happened since. However I do not like driving without a safety feature that I payed for when buying the car! Car is currently at the dealership for the 4th time and they still can't figure out what it is. They said they are waiting on a new computer that will record from the ECU and try to pinpoint the problem, however they have been waiting 3 months for this so called "computer". Any help???

The "so called computer" as you put it is the the new VCM (Vehicle Communications Module) that allows you to interface a lap top with the IDS (Internal Diagnostic Software) loaded into it. Ford has revamped there VCM and IDS to accommodate 64 bit software such as the MyTouch. As for waiting 3 months that might actually be the dealer itself the VCM's alone run almost $5,000 each and if you have 3 or 4 lap tops in the service dept it gets a bit expensive. All depends on who's not willing to spend, the owner or the service manager doesn't want to explode his budget.

Sparta, yeah they say they have it ordered but this "New" VCM hasn't been released yet is what the dealership is telling me. First they said they would have it by April 1, then it was pushed to May 1, now they are saying sometime in June... I was hoping SemiSmartGuy was able to get his fixed and see what the problem was. In the mean time they are just going to put miles on it until it happens to one of them. However, it happened it twice over a two month time frame so who knows when it will occur again for them.

Hey, I'm having this happen to my 2012 V6 Mustang also...I have been driving with traction control off for the past 4 months and it hasn't happened since....Car is currently at the dealership for the 4th time...

Hi Bieb03,

:welcome: To the Forum!

Let’s get the ‘Stang back on the road where it belongs. Shoot me a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Take care!

Noemi

Sparta, yeah they say they have it ordered but this "New" VCM hasn't been released yet is what the dealership is telling me. First they said they would have it by April 1, then it was pushed to May 1, now they are saying sometime in June... I was hoping SemiSmartGuy was able to get his fixed and see what the problem was. In the mean time they are just going to put miles on it until it happens to one of them. However, it happened it twice over a two month time frame so who knows when it will occur again for them.

Yea it sucks, Originally they were supposed to be released January 2012. Our assigned FoMoCo engineer has been trying to keep us up to date since before Thanksgiving, just when he has proper info for us FoMoCo does a 180. It's comical.... yet it's not.