several general questions about my new 93 gt

moon9398

Sep 29, 2018
new mexico
ok I have a 93 mustang gt I bought from recently
the problems im having is semi poor gas milage and overheating and my sub and amp just stopped working and my head lights randomly turn off

first the mods list
gt40 upper and lower intake
gt40 iron heads not P heads
bbk shortys with off road exhaust
70mm TB and 70MM egr/tb spacer
bbk cai
12'' electric fan
3 row mishimoto radiator with 19lb pressure cap
full msd 6a ignition
aluminum drive shaft
upgraded altenator
3.73 gears /w lsd
5 lug conversion
cobra disc brake conversion
drilled and slotted rotors

so the problem with over heating
the radiator is brand new and so is thermostat is just randomly started over heating so I checked fluid added to a very low reservoir and it seems fluid from the stock res is not flowing to mishimoto radiator so I added straigtht to radiator and still over heating then I noticed fans not kicking on so I just made sure all wires are tight as the fans are wired to kick on with ignition turned over and it worked no overheating now again the fans

the sound system issue
Has a dx350 amp and was professionally wired previous owner had it installed and I can tell it was done very well. Couple days ago while driving in my town with very :poo:y roads I hit a pot hole and the sub went in and out and I thought nothing of it except maybe loose power wire on amp then out of no where just stopped working all together so I checked all the fuses all the wiring power and ground all look great so I noticed the power light on amp not lightning up and it’s getting power checked the voltage. And the protection light is also not lit up I’m stumped. Also what does it take to install a double din head unit in these cars?

And I’m getting terrible gas mileage the timing was advanced to 18 now it’s down to 15 runs great just poor gas mileage my first fix had the same build but on a 306 block and e303 can and got better gas mileage. Does this build require a tune? The previous owner said it was tuned but you know how believable Craigslist sellers are

• Sponsors (?)

For the overheating issue lets start with a couple of questions. Does your car have underdrive pullies or stock? If it has underdrive pullies, take them off and put on the stock ones. For the electric fan, what brand, does it have a shroud? Not all electric fans are good, some are junk. I have never overheated anyof my cars and have always ran the stock fan and shroud. It works pretty well.

Gas mileage. You say it's terrible, what do you consider terrible? I have a few cars, one is a 5.0 auto with afr heads, cam, intake, exhaust, etc and I get around 12-15 MPG around town. My stock 94 cobra gets about the same. I personally don't see anything in your list of mods that would seem to require a tune.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I found out it doesn’t have the UD pulleys installed and I’m not sure of the fan brand it has the stock shroud. And when the fan stays on it doesn’t overheat I found out so I’m gonna check wiring tomorrow. Also my MPG is like 12mpg city 17 or so hwy. anything I can do to increase the mpg this is my second fix and now that I’m older I care more about reliability and comfort of driving the car more than mods I love the power but want a more balanced ride. Also where I live the roads are :leghump:ing awful like the worst roads I’ve ever seen I know fox’s ride ruff it’s what they do. You don’t get a fox for the smoothest ride of your life but anything I can do to make the ride as smooth as possible

Ok, here's my take on this, best ride your gonna get on crappy roads is a stock setup, good shocks/struts of course, as for gas mileage that's not so bad, I have nothing to compare, I don't do gas mileage on my stang cause I usually have my foot stuck in it.