shelby style hood for regular front end

What brand of hood do you have and where did you get it? How did it fit? How is it holding up? How much? I'm going to buy one for my 68 coupe and am wondering what brand to go with. I want to make sure I don't make a $500 mistake. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I bought one from Branda for a 67 shelby, not the short hood. It fit really good. I don't know about the short shelby hood, but if it is made by the same company then I am sure it will be good. You could call and talk to them.

I got a 67 shelby hood for my 68 coupe from Tony Branda for about $500 bucks. It's fiberglass and after a while from all the heat from the engine it started to really bow up in the middle. It sticks up almost an inch in the middle. Even though it does that I think it looks really cool. I would do it again.

I got a 67 shelby hood for my 68 coupe from Tony Branda for about $500 bucks. It's fiberglass and after a while from all the heat from the engine it started to really bow up in the middle. It sticks up almost an inch in the middle. Even though it does that I think it looks really cool. I would do it again.
Do you have any pictures of it with the bowed up spot?

The weird thing is the hood fits perfectly around the perimeter. It lines up very nicely around the sides, back and even the front but it just has about an inch bow up if you look at it from the side. I have thought about putting weight on it to flatten it out but I'm afraid that when I do that it won't line up because it will make it longer. What do you think?

As far as I know there are only a couple of actual manufacturers of these hoods, all of the vendors buy from them rather than make their own. Fit is generally poor out of the box, these old cars were not very precise to begin with and over the years they've flexed and fenders have moved. Expect to spend some time and or money getting it to fit just right.

Also, if you find one for $300 expect to be disappointed with both the quality and fit. At $500 you can expect more, but I've heard of several people who have a grand or more into theirs.

Stangaholics is reputed to have the some of the highest quality fiberglass hoods and parts for classic mustangs. Their website is a good place to start, and has a nice run down of the process that they use.

The metal backed hoods have a reputation for hair-line cracks. This seems to happen because the glass and the metal expand and contract at differnt speeds in a temperature change situation.

I wonder how long it will take for someone that has carbon fiber hood experience to begin building these in a shelby version. Regardless if you paint over it or keep the cf look, you would still have a near perfect fitting hood.
I am in the same boat as you are (needing a hood). I just wish there were more satisfied customers of the fiberglass hoods.

I wonder how long it will take for someone that has carbon fiber hood experience to begin building these in a shelby version. Regardless if you paint over it or keep the cf look, you would still have a near perfect fitting hood.
I am in the same boat as you are (needing a hood). I just wish there were more satisfied customers of the fiberglass hoods.

I think im going to go with a dynacorn one. Im kind of in a hurry to get one so i can drive my car. I don't really want to hack up a good turnsignal hood so it will clear my carb.