Shift pattern on 3 speed manual...weird

I finally got the engine running on my 66 289, so I turned my attention to the transmission. It's still on axle stands, but with the engine running I gently let the clutch out and I find that reverse isn't where I thought it was.

My gear knob shows:

R 2
___

1 3

I appear to be getting:

1 R
___

2 3

Peering down the shifter hole in the floor, the correct linkages appear to be moving. Can anyone confirm the correct pattern?

• Sponsors (?)

Only thing I can think of, is you've got the linkage rods on wrong. I know that on a Toploader 4 speed, that with the position of the reverse lever on the transmission you can "reverse" the position of reverse in the pattern. With the stock shifter, reverse was to the left and down, with a Hurst, it's to the left and up, thus preventing you from shifting from 1st to rev. in the heat of the moment.:D :Track:

It's the linkage

Definately sounds like a linkage issue. I had a 3 speed manual transmission (replaced now by T5) and can recall the linkage connections can be mounted upside down. So in other words, the connection points where the shift rod connects to the trans has the ability to mount the rod above or below the mounting point. For the shift rod in questions, determine if it is mounted above or below the connection point. If above, remove and remount it below and try it. If below, then do the reverse. I know this might be hard to visualize, but hopefully you will understand what I'm talking about when you get under the car. You will probably need to readjust your shifter linkage once you have the rods connected properly. Problems like this is where a factory service manual is worth it's weight in gold. Good luck.

jcode68 said:
Definately sounds like a linkage issue. I had a 3 speed manual transmission (replaced now by T5) and can recall the linkage connections can be mounted upside down. So in other words, the connection points where the shift rod connects to the trans has the ability to mount the rod above or below the mounting point. For the shift rod in questions, determine if it is mounted above or below the connection point. If above, remove and remount it below and try it. If below, then do the reverse. I know this might be hard to visualize, but hopefully you will understand what I'm talking about when you get under the car. You will probably need to readjust your shifter linkage once you have the rods connected properly. Problems like this is where a factory service manual is worth it's weight in gold. Good luck.

Ahhhhh. crap!

I've had to pretty much redo everything the PO did on this freaking car! I have the shop manual, So I guess I need to slide right on under there and take a look.

Thanks Jcode and others for your help.

D.Hearne said:
Only thing I can think of, is you've got the linkage rods on wrong. I know that on a Toploader 4 speed, that with the position of the reverse lever on the transmission you can "reverse" the position of reverse in the pattern. With the stock shifter, reverse was to the left and down, with a Hurst, it's to the left and up, thus preventing you from shifting from 1st to rev. in the heat of the moment.
That's correct for the Toploader, put a Hurst onto my S-code years ago and preferred the new pattern. Didn't have the T-bar reverse lockout either.