Shifter Bezel & Boot Comes Off When Shifting

FreeStyle786

Jan 24, 2018
Recently got a 2007 Mustang and the one thing that annoys me the most is when I'm shifting (not even going crazy) the shifter ring/bezel with the boot keeps popping off. The clips that hold it in place all seem to be there as I don't see any that look like they've broken off. Maybe it just wore down and isn't 'tight' anymore.

Anyone else have this issue? Besides buying a new factory shifter ring (best place to get one?) or screwing it straight into the center-console (I'd never do that) is there any other 'aftermarket' products anyone would recommend to fix this?

Thanks in advance!!!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Honestly it is not an issue I ever recall seeing posted here but I am sure others have had the same problem. If the clips aren't broken then it is probably worn out like you said. I would just double check that the boot is on all the way and the clips are fully engaging. American muscle sells the OEM boot for around $55.00 and a variety of after market boots from $60 to $80.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-shifter-accessories-0510.html
Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply. It's not the boot that's coming off though. It's that plastic trim ring that it happens to be attached to that keeps coming off. So if I just get a new boot it won't really make a difference.

I thought you meant the plastic ring under the boot that snaps it into the console. 05 -09 (except the Bullit) did not have a trim ring around the shifter boot. A previous owner must have installed an aftermarket piece. American Muscle sells those as well.

"I thought you meant the plastic ring under the boot that snaps it into the console." Yeah that's the thing. I actually took a real good look at it today to see what the hell is really going on and I suppose your right about a new boot. The issue is the boot is a little tight (probably sun damage as it's cracking pretty badly) so when I shift, especially into first, it pulls so tightly that it actually lifts the plastic ring up. So I guess if I get a new boot I probably won't have that issue anymore.

thanks.

Reactions: 1 user