&*%$ Shifter Handle Wont Come Off

OK, excuse my ignorance, this is my first classic stang. How do you take off the shifter handle on a C4 shifter in my 1965 coupe. I figured its the allen head screw but it seems to be stripped out so nothing will turn it. Im trying to replace the shifter bezel and am stuck. I tried removing the bolt going through the tranny tunnel and it seems pressed on or something. any help, also this is even dumber, im trying to get the headlight switch knob off and cant get it to come off, i didnt want to pull so hard that i broke something. the dimmer switch is broken so i need to replace the whole unit. How do i get just the knob off, i figured out how to unscrew the rest of it to loosen the actual switch, but cant get the knob off... any help would be appreciated. :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

On my '69 there is a itty bitty allen head screw on the "T" handle that has to come off, then pull out the driverside button, then lift the "T" straight up. Be careful not to drop the tiny allen head down into the transmission tunnel. ;)
Hope this was of any help.

As for the headlight knob & shaft, there should be a very small button on the side of the body of the headlight switch itself. You'll need to reach under the dash, depress the button, pull the knob, and it should come out. It may take some futzing between pressing the button and pulling the knob. Wow, that sounds a bit X rated.

Hope this helps. :shrug:

The allen screw is pretty small, you are probably using the wrong size allen wrench; it took me 4 or 5 tries with different ones. Dark Buddah is correct; mash the little buuton and the headlight shaft will slide right out. To replace it, just push it back in.

good replies, yeah that allen head is stripped out so i dont know what im gonna do now. as for the headlight knob, ill try that, i wouldnt have been able to figure that out on my own so thanks... how hard is it to remove the shifter handle from the inside of the car, i took off the retaining nut, is it pressed on or should some tapping bring it off, ill have to do it this way since the allen head is stripped! thanks

You're going to have to get the bezel off to get the shifter out. There's a piece of metal that runs under the pointer that you have to get around. And the bottom of the shifter is bent at a weird angle to meet up with the shift rod under the car.