Shifter rattles in high RPM's

86Five-0

May 6, 2003
New Jersey
When I drove my car to NYC over the weekend, I was gettin on the highway and got it up to around 4500 in 3rd and noticed a rattle comin from the shifter. I got a Hurst Competition Plus shifter in there. I'm certain it's the shifter itself because I recently had put it back in place of the stock one(cause the stocker sucks ass). It didn't rattle before. I did adjust the stops before I put it in. Could incorreclty adjusted stops be the culprit??? Anyone else experience this?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I'm pretty sure my car could use new u-joints sometimes it "clunks" when it's initially put into gear from a stop. But other than that the tranny mount felt a little spongy when I changed the exhaust, also the entire shifter moves around a little when I'm cruising, I'm pretty sure that's the tranny mount. But it started happening when I put this shifter back on. The shifter works great and I can't afford getting a new one. I'm gonna pull the console out and adjust the stops again and see what happens. I know I gotta tackle a few things on the car since it's got alot of miles but gotta wait till the money comes in. Thanks guys.

Check the flange bolts that connect the drive shaft to the rear end, they like to come loose in these cars. you should use blue loc-tite on them. It may be you U-joints. If it gets worse at higher speeds and even worse in nuetral, then its prolly DS related. If it gets worse at higher rpms in all gears, then its prolly engine related ( harmonic balancer, or a miss in the engine. ) If its only in one gear, then suspect the transmission.

I hear that the aftermarket shifters are noisy compared to the stock unit, but if it shake a lot, its not the shifters fault. The vibration is coming from somewhere else.

Well, the noise seems to be doin it in pretty much every gear. It sounds more like a buzz not necassarily a rattle. But when I had the stock shifter in there it didn't make any noise. I hope it's not the tranny itself. The car drives fine and goes into every gear fine. Can anyone else shine some light about this.

Yea mine started that a little awhile ago too, I have a pro 5.0 shifter that i installed, and it was find then all of a sudden around 4,000 rpm or a little less my shifter vibrates pretty hard in every gear but mostly when im on it hard. I dont know what the cause of it is, but i bought an aluminum driveshaft, hopefully it will make it quieter or stop.

The stock shifter has a ruber material between the shifter handle and the actual shifter. I think this cuts down on the vibration. My hurst does not have this rubber part. I don't think you should worry about the tranny being the cause. My tranny has been rebuilt several times since I've had my Hurst shifter and the rattle is always there. Try taking it apart and greasing it, it helps.

I've been having that same problem, and I talked to my mechanic about it. He told me that there is supposed to be a small teflon lining where the ball on the bottom of the shifter goes into the cup on the tranny. Apparently over time, they wear down, creating a small gap that makes it rattle. Apparently these small teflon linings can be had from Ford for less than a dollar a piece. I've yet to look into it, but it sounds reasonable and the guy knows stangs tip to tail. Anyone have any info on this?

warmdye, you said exactly what i was thinking. the rubber in the handle plus the omission of the dust/noise boot often lead to more vibs and noise.

astonut, the bushing really doesnt do a whole lot IMHO. the shifter ball doesnt fit real tight into the cup anyways. i replaced the bushing when i did my shifter (150K), and the original one looked fine. it is really quite hard, so it didnt deteriorate. just my experience.

i really think the rubber missing in the handle is it. why else would ford put that on there (thinking: "this shifter is much too precise and easy to hit third, lets spend money and put a thick piece of rubber in there to get rid of this.")
you know it would not be there were it not for a good reason. i bet JadeFalcon is right on. there are probably some variables that allow every trans to not do it, but many likely do. many folks probably dont notice or care.
just me.