Shifter too close to dash?

wrx-no-mo

Jun 6, 2004
Every picture of the interior I see with the 5 spd. shifter in a forward position (1,3,5) looks like there isn't enough clearance to avoid mashing your fingers against the dash/climate controls.

For those of you lucky enough to sit in it in person, is is just the pictures, or is this a potential problem? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

yes in fact i mentioned this in my earlier post about me sitting in it. When you shift into third gear it is very easy to nail the center stack.... Especially when speed shifting that gear with the palm of your hand.

wrx-no-mo said:
Every picture of the interior I see with the 5 spd. shifter in a forward position (1,3,5) looks like there isn't enough clearance to avoid mashing your fingers against the dash/climate controls.

For those of you lucky enough to sit in it in person, is is just the pictures, or is this a potential problem? :shrug:

It is just the pictures. Unless you have ape fingers. There is at least 4 inches of room.

If Ford hasn't drastically improved the shifter location from the awkward positioning in the current model, it deserves to be bashed by every reviewer. I hope the cupholders are designed with shifting in mind also. A different center console arrangment for manuals might be an idea.

Stangston said:
If Ford hasn't drastically improved the shifter location from the awkward positioning in the current model, it deserves to be bashed by every reviewer. I hope the cupholders are designed with shifting in mind also. A different center console arrangment for manuals might be an idea.
hehe, my current stang doesnt even have cupholders (unless you count the between the seat and e-brake trick :rolleyes: )
The pictures do look a little tight, but I doubt Ford would miss something that silly, I mean they do test drive these things before they hit the dealers right? There's no way something like that would happen I don't think

Not to be negative or anything. But instead of worrying about your coffee while driving. Why not drink your beverage then drive. When I eat in my car I understand that having the cupholder in the position it is. Is part of the trade off for not wanting to stop and eat.

G0NEn60 said:
Do you think it will block any of the controls on the center stack?
I also love how I can't change cd's while in park in my car, so I'm used to: nto havign cupholders; and severe blockage of controls while parked . . .hmm any advancement in the '05 is just yet another bonus. god I love this car :banana: