shipping engine cross country

jterry831

Apr 25, 2005
Hey guys, does anyone have any tips and suggestions on the best and cheapest way to ship an engine across country? Also does anyone have any idea what a 351 cleveland, iron heads, aluminum intake, stock exhaust manifolds, c6 flywheel, water pump might weigh? I can estimate the weight of a wooden crate when I build one, I just don't know about the engine. I need to get a shipping estimate on sending it from VA to Colorado for a guy who is interested in buying it.

Thanks!!
Jimmy

• Sponsors (?)

jterry831 said:
Hey guys, does anyone have any tips and suggestions on the best and cheapest way to ship an engine across country? Also does anyone have any idea what a 351 cleveland, iron heads, aluminum intake, stock exhaust manifolds, c6 flywheel, water pump might weigh? I can estimate the weight of a wooden crate when I build one, I just don't know about the engine. I need to get a shipping estimate on sending it from VA to Colorado for a guy who is interested in buying it.

Thanks!!
Jimmy

Hey Jimmy,
I sent my original 302 and C4 from Colorado to New York.
I cannot remember the weight of the total package. Regardless, I called around to a BUNCH of the freight companies to find a shipper. I ended up getting a deal to "fill out" a truck with my "extra freight" from a broker. The broker actually worked for the trucking company that I shipped on. Try to go with a paleted option, and that will save money as well. I just strapped it down on an old tire and plastic wrapped the hell out of it. Worked out fine. Good Luck.

Do you remember what kind of money it cost? Fedex freight gave a ballpark of $500 for a "class 70" package, from depot to or business to business, with an estimated weight of 600lbs. I don't know how close I am on guessing weight, but I planned on putting on a pallet and building crate around it.

i would check with other freight companies other than fedex and UPS. They are definately more expensive. The pallet shoulnd weigh more than 450lbs. Heck I shipped a motorcycle (with them picking it up, strapping it down and everyting) and it was $550 from Texas to Virginia.

jterry831 said:
Do you remember what kind of money it cost? Fedex freight gave a ballpark of $500 for a "class 70" package, from depot to or business to business, with an estimated weight of 600lbs. I don't know how close I am on guessing weight, but I planned on putting on a pallet and building crate around it.

I think the total for the Engine, Trans and Palet was 620#'s, and I think it cost around $275. Just gotta do the leg work. Do not use UPS or FED EX. Way to much money. I looked for the shipping docs and just could not turn them up. Again, look through the Freight Brokers. They are just trying to fill a truck, and will give you a great deal if you barter with them. I could have done it last minute, literally, for $150 but could not get the palet to them in time.