short throw shifter. Barton or Steeda

• Sponsors (?)

I bought and installed the Barton and absolutely love it. No experience with the Steeda, but apparently the Barton has a 40% reduction in throw while the Steeda is 20%. I'm sure the Steeda is a well built piece as well, but I guess it depends on how short you want to go.

I had a Steeda in my '01 and loved it. I have a MGW on my '10, which is also really awesome. I think the general consensus around here is that MGW is the way to go, but I'm guessing you own a 2011+ and MGW (still) doesn't make shifters for it. :notnice: :shrug:

Personally, I'd take the Steeda or wait for MGW to put one out there for the 5.0.

Shorter throw?

Dude if you go any shorter in a 11+, all you will have to do is push in the clutch and it will shift itself ;) Stock throw is SHORT and I can basically flick the shifter from gear to gear.

Steeda parts in my experience have always been spot-on. I don't have experiences with either in the 11+ yet, so I can't give ya any advice.

I am visiting Florida this month and planned my tour to include Steeda. While there I had them install the new shifter for the Getrag in the 11 GT. Matt took about an hour to do the install.
I use my car in a grand touring function not race. Some things you touch every time you are in the car ...the shifter is one.
I like the 20% reduction. Slight increase in force. The big difference is how SMOOTH it is. Makes you smile every time you run the gears. Reverse lock out is exactly factory. Matt let me choose the springs and shims to tune how hard you want to push down for the lockout.

very kewl piece

The Barton works exactly like the stock shifter, reverse lockout and all. Its not smoother, don't know why it would be, shorter throw is going to mean a little more effort no matter the brand. Especially since the 2011 transmissions have tended to be a bit notchy anyways. Barton has been making shifters and other parts for the GM crowd for a while and has a good reputation. But otherwise, it seems very well built and the shifting action is very solid, comparable to an MGW (I've owned an MGW shifter on two different transmissions, a T5 and a TKO, and also driven a friends '97 cobra with an MGW)

But overall, I don't think you can go wrong with either shifter. I just figured I'd throw in my endorsement for the Barton since that's what I settled on after much research.

I do not have the Barton Shifter because I had already bought the Steeda unit when I found out about it. And thats OK I'm good with the 20% reduction. I did buy the Barton brace and it makes a world of difference. Doesn't matter what shifter you have, stock, Barton, Steeda, or Brand X you need the Barton Brace. PERIOD.

I do not have the Barton Shifter because I had already bought the Steeda unit when I found out about it. And thats OK I'm good with the 20% reduction. I did buy the Barton brace and it makes a world of difference. Doesn't matter what shifter you have, stock, Barton, Steeda, or Brand X you need the Barton Brace. PERIOD.

I just installed the Steeda shifter. When I was looking on youtube for install vidios, I saw the Barton brace. It looks cool and stronger being billet aluminum, but I thought.....thats got to be a waist of money!
But you say its a gotta have. I just dont see how this could make much improvement. Tell me more!

I think the wait for MGW is gonna be worth it.

Also read that anything more then a 15-20% reduction in throw over stock is bad for syncros. Dunno how much truth that holds.

I have heard that the 2 available shifters are both an improvement over stock.

I think the wait for MGW is gonna be worth it.

Also read that anything more then a 15-20% reduction in throw over stock is bad for syncros. Dunno how much truth that holds.

I have heard that the 2 available shifters are both an improvement over stock.

Unless my understanding is way off, why would it be bad for synchros? As long as you're not jamming it into every gear, it should be fine. The shifter essential just changes the pivot point so that your hand moves less to move the linkage the same amount. You will feel more effort going into gear, but I don't see how that hurts the synchros.

I just installed the barton shifter and bracket in my 5.0 today. I love this shifter, i have owned many mustangs and have never shifted one with a shorter throw than this. Under WOT the shifts are so nice and solid, actually starting to like my MT82 trans now.

I just installed the Steeda shifter. When I was looking on youtube for install vidios, I saw the Barton brace. It looks cool and stronger being billet aluminum, but I thought.....thats got to be a waist of money!
But you say its a gotta have. I just dont see how this could make much improvement. Tell me more!
I have the Steeda shifter and the Barton bracket, and it does make a significant difference. The shifts are much more solid. There is no movement to the shift at all.