Short Throw shifter comparison

03Stangr

Oct 14, 2007
Howdy all,
I'm looking at Short throw shifters. I buy stuff from Ford Racing quite a bit so I"m tempted to get the Ford Racing/Hurst shifter for my 98 stang cobra, stock T45 tranny. MGW is not one that I'm thinking about because I like the stock knob for some reason. So please help me decide knowing I'd like to keep my stock shifter knob. I was looking to get all of your opinions based on your experiences with shifters like Pro 5, Steeda, Ford Racing/Hurst that allow you to use your stock shifter knobs. Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

Howdy all,
I'm looking at Short throw shifters. I buy stuff from Ford Racing quite a bit so I"m tempted to get the Ford Racing/Hurst shifter for my 98 stang cobra, stock T45 tranny. MGW is not one that I'm thinking about because I like the stock knob for some reason. So please help me decide knowing I'd like to keep my stock shifter knob. I was looking to get all of your opinions based on your experiences with shifters like Pro 5, Steeda, Ford Racing/Hurst that allow you to use your stock shifter knobs. Thanks in advance

I did some searches in the website here but there wasn't any opinions from the SVTTECH croud. Here's what I found at Late Model Restoration

1979-01 Mustang Hurst Shifter, T5/T45, M-7210-M by Ford Racing
Developed for Ford Racing by Hurst! These Billet/Plus Shifters incorporate a high ratio pivot mechanism for reduced shifter throw and are sturdily constructed for a more positive precise feel when shifting. Self centering alignment improves 2nd to 3rd up-shift gear changes to reduce the chance of “missed shifts”. Patented adjustable bias spring loads on most models allow stick tension to be tailored to drivers preference. Dedicated applications assure a custom fit and eliminate any vehicle modifications for ease of installation.

• CNC machined 6061 T-6 BILLET ALUMINUM base and stop collar
• Heat treated BILLET STEEL gear selector for ultimate strength
• Adjustable positive gear stops to help prevent internal transmission damage
• Stainless steel rotating pivot insures smooth shifting and reduced wear
• Polymide pivot cup reduces stick vibration and noise transfer
• Self centering alignment for improved 2nd to 3rd upshift gear changes
• Patented adjustable bias spring load for ease of operation
• Exclusive oil control seal, on most models, to eliminate trans fluid loss and protect against contamination

This shifter looks like it tilts back more than some people were talking about from the Fox Croud making it come back to you. Our cars are different than theirs as well so it's not advantageous to look at what the Fox folks are thinking about this one really. No offense of course, just logical. It does say that it's a hurst shifter made by Ford Racing, maybe that's the difference. I like that it talked about not transferring noise as well. What do you all think ? For PIC click on link below

http://c1385782.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/m7210m.jpg

I did some searches in the website here but there wasn't any opinions from the SVTTECH croud. Here's what I found at Late Model Restoration

1979-01 Mustang Hurst Shifter, T5/T45, M-7210-M by Ford Racing
Developed for Ford Racing by Hurst! These Billet/Plus Shifters incorporate a high ratio pivot mechanism for reduced shifter throw and are sturdily constructed for a more positive precise feel when shifting. Self centering alignment improves 2nd to 3rd up-shift gear changes to reduce the chance of “missed shifts”. Patented adjustable bias spring loads on most models allow stick tension to be tailored to drivers preference. Dedicated applications assure a custom fit and eliminate any vehicle modifications for ease of installation.

• CNC machined 6061 T-6 BILLET ALUMINUM base and stop collar
• Heat treated BILLET STEEL gear selector for ultimate strength
• Adjustable positive gear stops to help prevent internal transmission damage
• Stainless steel rotating pivot insures smooth shifting and reduced wear
• Polymide pivot cup reduces stick vibration and noise transfer
• Self centering alignment for improved 2nd to 3rd upshift gear changes
• Patented adjustable bias spring load for ease of operation
• Exclusive oil control seal, on most models, to eliminate trans fluid loss and protect against contamination

This shifter looks like it tilts back more than some people were talking about from the Fox Croud making it come back to you. Our cars are different than theirs as well so it's not advantageous to look at what the Fox folks are thinking about this one really. No offense of course, just logical. It does say that it's a hurst shifter made by Ford Racing, maybe that's the difference. I like that it talked about not transferring noise as well. What do you all think ? For PIC click on link below

http://c1385782.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/m7210m.jpg

Still... no opinions from anyone ?

AFAIK - Most every aftermarket shifter allows you to retain your factory shift knob (?), at least it does with Steeda's Tri-Ax OR the user chooses to swap out knobs... :shrug:
Yep, most of them do except MGW. I found that out late yesterday by finding a on line parts house that carries all the brands. I was hoping that some more folks would chime in and tell me what experiences they've had with the different models of shifters. Thanks for your reply

I've had the Hurst billet shifter on my Cobra since '98 and I couldn't be happier with it although I haven't tried any of the others...Steeda,Pro 5, MGW etc....so I can't comment on those. Originaly I used my factory shifter knob but I found it to be a little small in my hand so I bought the FRPP shihter knob which is a little bigger and better to hold onto.

This is my combo.

hur-3915030.jpg

frppshift.jpg

I've had the Hurst billet shifter on my Cobra since '98 and I couldn't be happier with it although I haven't tried any of the others...Steeda,Pro 5, MGW etc....so I can't comment on those. Originaly I used my factory shifter knob but I found it to be a little small in my hand so I bought the FRPP shihter knob which is a little bigger and better to hold onto.

This is my combo.

hur-3915030.jpg

frppshift.jpg

Thanks for your response. That's the response I was hoping for as well. I just couldn't buy one without at least one good response for this shifter I'm liking.
I noticed yours a Hurst model rather than the Ford Racing version. I would hope they're close in regards to feel, quality etc... I just think I'm going to favor the chrome handled Ford Racing one since I have so much black inside my car. I'd like to see what it looks like inside your car if you get a chance though. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Well not much to see as the shifter boot covers the entire shifter, but here's a few pics. The first is with the shifter in first gear and the second in neutral.

Wow, you got that right. I must have been thinking about my other Mustangs Hurst shifter. Well, that's not going to make any difference for sure. Thanks again !

Yep, most of them do except MGW. I found that out late yesterday by finding a on line parts house that carries all the brands. I was hoping that some more folks would chime in and tell me what experiences they've had with the different models of shifters. Thanks for your reply

That's odd. I have MGW shifters in 2 of my mustangs and both use the factory shifter knob