Short throw shifter, What do you guys have?

Pro5.0 is the undesputed strongest. Which one is "best" is subjective. There are huge differences, as in handle style and materials. The Steeda is all aluminum, the Pro5.0 only has an aluminum base and the rest is forged steel. They both are advertised as having the correct geometry for each tranny, although the Steeda I had on my TKO felt like crap. I was always missing shifts and getting locked out of gears. (that's real, real bad when passing cars into oncoming traffic). Put a Pro5.0 on, never had another issue. Many people have had the reverse experience, although not many. Hanlon Motorsports (the TTC experts) carry and recommend Pro5.0 exclusively- that should tell you all you need to know right there. If you need more, take a good hard look at Steeda quality right here, I post this pic every chance I get:

attachment.php

• Sponsors (?)

I've got a UPR blue thunder (or whatever they call it.) It beats the stock shifter, and I got it for really cheap, so no complaints. I have never used a tri-ax or pro-5.0, so I can't compare it to those.

stangbear427 said:
Pro5.0 is the undesputed strongest. Which one is "best" is subjective. There are huge differences, as in handle style and materials. The Steeda is all aluminum, the Pro5.0 only has an aluminum base and the rest is forged steel. They both are advertised as having the correct geometry for each tranny, although the Steeda I had on my TKO felt like crap. I was always missing shifts and getting locked out of gears. (that's real, real bad when passing cars into oncoming traffic). Put a Pro5.0 on, never had another issue. Many people have had the reverse experience, although not many. Hanlon Motorsports (the TTC experts) carry and recommend Pro5.0 exclusively- that should tell you all you need to know right there. If you need more, take a good hard look at Steeda quality right here, I post this pic every chance I get:

attachment.php

Are you saying that steeda quality is bad in that pic? Im really leaning twoard the steeda but i don't want something that will break

Hurst Billet Plus here. Got it fairly cheap and it was in stock at my local Schucks. No shipping, no waiting, the way I prefer it to be. If I didn't get the Hurst I was leaning towards the Pro 5.0 myself. Any after market should be an upgrade though. I was a bit skeptical on buying a short throw shifter, but now that I have one, how did I drive without one???

stangbear427 said:

attachment.php

A single event does not equal the whole product line. My Tri-Ax has been trouble free. I've never missed a gear either.

runningmole said:
Pro 50 w/ Triax handle
Or, the Kona. Pro5.0 with a forged steel handle that is otherwise identicle to the Tri-Ax aluminum peice- for less money then either shifter is otherwise.
Lynx331 said:
Are you saying that steeda quality is bad in that pic? Im really leaning twoard the steeda but i don't want something that will break
No, only that they are #2.
tjm73 said:
A single event does not equal the whole product line. My Tri-Ax has been trouble free. I've never missed a gear either.
Congratulations. The point was that it wouldn't have happened with a Pro5.0, there isn't a stang driver out there who can bend a forged steel gear selector. Pro5.0 uses the same forging techniques on their shifter parts as their rear gears. Anybody out there wanna try making those out of aluminum? Also, this is not an isolated case, it is simply the only one I happen to have a picture of. I've heard of several cases like this, as well as dozens of stories of broken Tri-Ax shift levers, stripped stop bolt holes, cracked stop rings, and even a cracked base.
Deciding which one you want is quite simply about deciding what is important to you in a shifter. If you want the one that tells you without compromise exactly what is happening in your transmission, which can take anything you throw at it no matter how abusive, then the only choice is Pro5.0. If you aren't that kind of driver, or just want something smooth and quick but not absolutely precise, then the Tri-Ax is the best choice to consider- or one of the many identicle ones made by pirates, although I've never tested one of the ripoffs to see just how much like the Tri-Ax they really are. I hate Steeda, but I don't want that to overshadow the fact that I don't want to be quoted saying they are crap. They aren't, they are better than most and most people will never have a problem with them. They were made to take a pounding and they do- most of the time. Somewhere in the decision process you just have to define "pounding" for yourself.

stangbear427 said:
Congratulations........

I am only offering another 1st hand experience for someone to consider. I feel like your trying to attack me (hope that's not the case). I've not used a Pro 5.0 shifter.

My Tri-Ax has delivered over 20,000 trouble free miles. Though I did have an issue with the handle. It was resolved without incident at no charge to me. I was told they had a batch of bad handles where they found some flawed aluminum that the handles were made from. But the shifter it's self has been a good product in my experience. They don't even sell the handle I have anymore, probably because they found it's design to have shortcomings. now it has a forged handle.

BTW in order to bend the shift mechanism like it's bent in your shifter, you would have to over shift by a lot and I doubt a single shift would bend it that bad. Abuse is the word that comes to mind. If the stop bolts were set right, it should be impossible to do that to any shifter. My .02 cents.

Guy who started this thread.....buy what you like. Take everything ever posted on any message board now and forever with a grain of salt becasue anyone of us could be talking out of our ass and enjoy your car. I'm out of this debate.

Nope, not trying to attack anybody- if I was there wouldn't be any wondering about it. Sorry you inferred that, wasn't my intention. The damage in the picture occured when the tranny got stuck in a gear, nothing to do with overshifting. A few members in here have managed to break the forged handles too, just for the record. I ran a Tri-Ax for several thousand miles, many of them with a mis-matched clutch problem which in a beefy TKO is lethal. It just plain couldn't perform well under anything but absolutely perfect conditions, and reality for me doesn't usually involve them. I say again, it isn't a bad shifter. Getting upset over it is like telling an olympic silver medalist they suck. Not the case, just not gold.

I had the same question when i went to decide what to get. I weighed all the reviews and went with the Pro 5.0 hands down. It actually was cheaper than the steeda on Ebay. Its at the shop being installed with my new tranny. I'll post an update whne i get her back later in the week. The shifter it's self looks bulletproof. It definatly is quality made to last, I can't wait to try her out. She's also getting a complete rear end rebuild and 4.10 gear swap....this is gonna rock!!!

i have the pro 5.0 and its badarse. love the thing. havent tried any others but damn it feels strong. i have a out of balance driveshaft so the bolts came loose once. loc-tite blue took care of that problem in all of 3 minutes though.