Short throw shifter

• Sponsors (?)

I've had Pro5.0, Hurst and Steeda. My choice has been and still is the Pro5.0 especially if you want the shortest. The SVE one is a copy of the Pro5.0 which is a good bit cheaper but I've never used it myself.

I’ve always liked my hurst. The summit one is also good, as Is the tri ax. One nice thing about the hurst is it comes with the knob. Most short throw shifters feel somewhat the same I’ve noticed.

Thinking back, I feel like this Hurst handle put the shifter in a better spot.
https://www.holley.com/products/dri...and_accessories/manual_shifters/parts/3915031

It’s slightly back and to the left. My Pro 5.0 shifts the same, but I may give the Hurst a slight edge for that.
I’d love to try them side by side to see if what I’m remembering is actually true...... it’s many years since I had the Hurst.

MGW hands down. I have one with the 3550 Tremec and it makes the long throw of the 3550 the same distance as the T5. Very adjustable, and one you set it and tighten the screws, it isn't going to change.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Love my SVE. I’ve only had it for a few weeks so I can’t comment on durability. I’ve driven Foxes with the pro 5.0 and the Hurst billet plus. I liked them both a lot.

Back in the day I used Hurst (non chrome handle) on several musings and liked them a lot. A friend used Pro 5.0 and I drove his car a few times and I felt the shifter handle was too short for my taste.

My current 87 GT came with a chrome handle Hurst and its decent too. I assume it has the shift stops but haven't had that part of the car apart yet.

If I can remember back 20+ years ago, I think I liked the feet of the non chrome handle Hurst better, but not enough to change it.

This question should really be phrased:

what is a bad short throw shifter to stay away from?

all of the big name shifters are decent quality. Cant go wrong with any of them

This question should really be phrased:

what is a bad short throw shifter to stay away from?

all of the big name shifters are decent quality. Cant go wrong with any of them
Flea bay and Amazon copies of good shifters would be the first I’d add to that list. Like the Instrument Shaped Objects (ISO’s), speed parts that are too good of a deal are likely too cheap to be useable.

Last edited: