Short Tube Headers vs Long Tube Headers

Shawneebear93

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 4, 2004
Salisbury Twp, Allentown, PA
Which of these is more beneficial? Or is one good for one thing and the other for another.
I ask because I plan to re-do my exhaust from the header back. Ive seen a lot of yous are running Ranger headers. Is this a fairly easy swap? What is the deal with the EGR, and what IS the EGR?
I plan to use a Y-pipe for the looks of duals, where can I get this part?
Also, which catalytic converters do you use?
Which mufflers?
Post sound clips if you've got them

I probably post something new about Exhaust/Muffler every week.
HaHa, my 4-banger-Stanger is my first car and I know nothing about cars. :bang: *This must change* My dad will help me with any work I want to do to the car.

Thanks a lot guys!

• Sponsors (?)

A long tube header will make your car sound neat below 3000 RPM :)

As for sound clips, I have one of my '90 LX with pacesetter longtube and dual 40 series flows, but it's too big to post on here...I sent it to a website that's supposed to post up exhaust sound clips, and well...it's been 3 months and I'm still waiting for them to put it on the page.

The longer the header tubes the better, period. The separation of individual exhaust flow of each cylinder is what makes them work.

The Ranger header is a direct bolt in except for the EGR tube ( tried to get an adapter fitting but ended up ditching the EGR), and IF it has no bung for the oxygen sensor you must weld one in or run without O2 and have fuel economy suffer a bit.

If you could replace the entire exhaust, then use a long tube to begin with.