Should i add fiberglass restomod parts? eleanor/cali-spec?

PJx5x

Mar 30, 2005
Chicago
Hi, i have a 68 coupe-stock body and ride height. Im really tempted to change the look of it. There are a few things ive liked about cars ive seen and was wondering about some of it. this might get a little long, its late and im in a tpying mood, sorry.

1) i love the look of the California Special, all except the fog lights and side stripe (its too high).

2) i like the general look of the eleanor kit. everything flows smoothly. i like all of it except the side exit exhaust (starting to grow on me) and the headlight buckets (i dont like the small lights next to the main lights).

Basically i need help deciding if i should even start adding fiberglass, and if so- what should i add. I sorta know what i want, but i dont know what will work together.

i want the front apron from the E kit, with the PIAA lights on the bottom. i dont want the headlight buckets. would it be possible to use the buckets from a shelby without the 2nd light? ive heard that if i use the E kit front section i will need to use fender flares, which i dont really like, but i guess i could live with them. (E kit front -- 68 shelby headlights )

i want the shelby sequential tail light panel. only question about this is, the sets i see for sale- do they have the sequential lights with them? will they actually blink like they should or will i need something else?

the hood- i like the look of the E hood, but i sorta want louvers. ive found an E hood with louvers, but i dunno if it will make the car look too much like eleanor. ive seen a lot of comments on here hating on eleanor, and i dunno. i also like the shelby gt500 hood with louvers, but it doesnt really jump at you like the shelby hood. ( E hood -- shelby hood )

i know ive typed a lot, and i probably dont even make sense. thanks in advance for anyone that helps, even replies.

• Sponsors (?)

I vote GT/CS

do the california special, it has a great rear spoiler. I actually like the fog lights, but it will look great without them too. I don't like coupes w/o spoilers, but to each his own.

I think the Shelby hood looks great, hate that Eleanor hood, but I think the classic GT/CS hood looks better:

http://www.californiaspecial.com/photogallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album09&id=DavidAthans5

those rear-facing scoops were pretty classy, dunno if you can get it in fiberglass.

the GT/CS look to me says short, no-nonsense, tough, all-business, but still kind of classy. If it was a fastback, maybe go Eleanor, but I think you would have a better looking car in the end by basing it on a GT/CS look. My $.02.

that hood you posted is a normal hood i think. its the one i have. those are turn signals in those "heat extractor" things. i really like the CS, but the front end just isnt doing it for me. i also dont really want to clone anything, and the stripes on the CS arent my style. i think ill have to sleep on it. thanks for the response

i like this hood...67-68 style of a '67 shelby gt500 hood.

CLICK ME

or this one with louvers, kinda hard to see though.
SFH10-SFH11.jpg

muss4xk.png

backmustang1xq.jpg

here is mine, for yourself! :D

there is another person on stangnet with the C/S deck lid with the elenor front end.. i believe its blue?

Attachments

• muss4xk.png
    muss4xk.png
    7 KB · Views: 111
  • backmustang1xq.jpg
    backmustang1xq.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 94
yeah, no CS stripes

should have mentioned that, I'm not wild about the CS stripes either. I didn't mean a clone exactly, but to maybe use that as your base. I've been focusing so much on '69-70 that I forgot that was the stock hood, duh. I do like painting inside the "heat extractor" coupe. 12sec67's ride looks pretty good, IMO.

PJx5x said:
that hood you posted is a normal hood i think. its the one i have. those are turn signals in those "heat extractor" things. i really like the CS, but the front end just isnt doing it for me. i also dont really want to clone anything, and the stripes on the CS arent my style. i think ill have to sleep on it. thanks for the response

Ok, im sold on the cs decklid. i really want the shelby sequential lights, does anyone know where to get a kit for that where it actually blinks like it should?

i dont want an eleanor kit, i just think the frontend flows. i found a car on mustangdepot that pretty much has what i was going for, except i want the PIAA lights on the bottom. here are some links to that car, except it doesnt have the side scoops.

http://mustangdepot.com/Media/images/gallery/z2.JPG
http://mustangdepot.com/Media/images/gallery/z5.JPG
http://mustangdepot.com/Media/images/gallery/z8.JPG
http://mustangdepot.com/Media/images/gallery/z9.JPG

thanks for all the comments. as for the stripes i was thinking the normal shelby stripes, and side stripes also. except it wouldnt say GT500, itd say 351C or something like that.

How about this on front?

(subtly shifts focus away from eleanor parts :stick: )

have you thought about this kind of front apron with the Shelby hood that looks GREAT on danewers' ride?

largeperspectivemre67ram.jpg

from maier racing. dunno how it would look - I think the lower part of the front apron you have pics of looks kind of weird, like a more modern ground effects kit.

Don't get me wrong - loved Gone in 60, loved the original, the car was cool, and I even got my coilovers from Unique Performance - Eleanor central - and am getting Edelbrock 454s like Eleanor had - but I don't think that front kit looks great. But you know what they say about opinions . . .

Attachments

• largeperspectivemre67ram.jpg
    largeperspectivemre67ram.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 88
That front end looks good, ill have to think about it. That sequential kit looks good, but if im doing that much body work, id rather just get the real panel and not a cover for it. thanks guys

that is the real deal for the 67-68 shelbys. what they did was cutout the stock taillight panel for access to the lights and then put the "cover" on over that and installed the lamp assemblies. there is not another panel other than what they show you on that site. only the original shelby's were far more cut up to do the conversion.

no you're not totally wrong except they didn't replace the stock steel taillight panel with shelby glass one, they just added the shelby glass one over the stock steel one after they cut a bunch of holes in it for the light buckets and wiring.

the mustang project units are pretty the exact same thing except you don't have to cut the stock steel taillight panel, it's pretty cool actually.

PJx5x said:
Ive looked at those, but i dunno about that chin spoiler thing. I think ill need to see one installed on a stang.
The one posted earlier is the "R Style" which removes the front bumper entirely. You can also get one that keeps the front bumper yet has the same chin spoiler.

IMG.JPG

Attachments

• IMG.JPG
    IMG.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 111