Should I change mufflers?

9COBRA7

Founding Member
Jul 16, 2002
Just outside Detroit MI
I wanna change to magnaflows, just cuz I've heard alot about them, but I never actually heard them in person. I have heard sounds from mustangexhaust.com and they do sound nice. As I type this I have Flowmaster 40 series, Another reason I wanna change is cuz its to common to have Flowmasters. Is it worth the change, or should I just stay the same?

What kinda sound differences are there?

• Sponsors (?)

Last year I had Magnaflows welded in my stock catback becasue I liked the factory tips.....don't like any of the aftermarket tips.....and I have no regrets. The car sounds amazing, at idle it's as quiet as stock but driving it around is like music to my ears,a little louder than stock but not a whole bunch louder than original mufflers,which is what I wanted and also virtually no drone. :nice:

9COBRA7 said:
Thats the thing, I dont want my car quieter. I just kinda want a different sound.

Well it is a little louder and different especially when you get on it, which is what I was looking for,something a bit louder than stock but not to the point of loosing my hearing after a while,but if you want something really loud go with magnaflow magnapacks.It all depends on how loud you want it.

Really loud mufflers may be the ****nit at first but it gets old really fast, especially if you're cruising on the highway.I know quite a few people who switched from really loud mufflers to something a little quieter, they just couldn't bear listening to the high db's anymore.Listening to music or carrying on a normal conversation was a chore. :banana: :eek:

i went from 40's to magnaflows and i love them. There nice at WOT and good sounds under normal driving. I got my mangaflows because everyone else around here has 40's

Really I dont want really loud, I just want it almost the same as my flos. I just want a different sound. My buddy has the mangaflows, and I cant tell which kind they are. They look just like a normal muffler, but with MAGNAFLOW on the top of them. They came off a 5.0 Mustang, so thats telling me they prolly sound good.

Another thing.. as I posted they came off a 5.0 It send a spark in my head to ask if the 5.0 muffler will fit a 4.6 cobra. I dont see why not, but you never know.

I welded magnaflow magna packs into my stock exhaust and they're not all that loud, with the other stock stuff in there it tames the magnapacks down...good sound at throttle but quiet at idle or cruising speed...i found the magna packs used for $25 each and had them welded in for $25 a side..$100 total...they look very similar to a glasspack/cherrybomb, much higher quality stainless muffler, well worth it.....good luck

Well I switched them over today. I actually like the sound, its a bit rought sounding at the beginning of a take off, but once it hits 2500 it smooths out and sounds real nice. The more you hit the throttle the louder they get. There definitly a nice sounding smooth muffler, and I can ever here more words in songs on the radio. I do miss the downshifting into 2nd coming to a stop sound though..I still kinda have it, its just not as loud. I just like the fact at a light it sounds pretty much like stock, but once you hit the pedel it lets a little bark out. heh..