Should I change my oil at 500 miles??

Siggy33

Nov 6, 2005
My GT just ticked over 500 miles and I remember someone saying that you should change your oil after the first 500 miles during break-in. Is this true? If so, why?

If it is, should I stick to conventional oil or switch to synthetic? I realize that synthetic may provide too much protection for a motor that is still in the break in process, so that is why I ask.

• Sponsors (?)

Siggy33 said:
My GT just ticked over 500 miles and I remember someone saying that you should change your oil after the first 500 miles during break-in. Is this true? If so, why?

If it is, should I stick to conventional oil or switch to synthetic? I realize that synthetic may provide too much protection for a motor that is still in the break in process, so that is why I ask.
My Saleen manual said to change to synthetic at 1000 miles. They put a heavier weight oil in for the break in period.

Your car has a 5W-20 syn-blend in it already, and you don't need to change it yet. This topic is brought up weekly, and there will follow 50 posts with advice on what's best. It will end with two guys taking shots at each other about who's brand is best! Change it based on how you drive, and at least yearly, regardless of miles. Do what makes you happy.

I would change the oil at 500 miles. No matter how clean the manufacturing process, engines will still have a lot of crap in them after assembly, and that crap will end up in the oil. While it won't necessarily hurt the engine, it is best to get it out. You'd be surprised how black oil is when changed at 500 to 1000 miles. My 05's oil was the color of Guiness. (BRILLIANT!)

And hey...how much does it really cost for 6.5 quarts of synthetic blend anyway? $25? Isn't that worth piece of mind? You'll thank yourself when see the color of the draining oil.

I'd wait until 3000-5000 for sythetic, but boss377 is right. do what makes you happy.