Should i get a new thermastat?

• Sponsors (?)

dont drive car in winter, i was thinking of just getting a 180 or even a stock 192...oh and im not having problems i am just finishing building my engine and not sure if i wanna put the old one back in with 59,000 miiles

17yrOldStanger said:
160 is way too cold in my opinion. I agree on the Mr Gasket 180.

There is nothing wrong with a 160, i ran a 160 all summer and winter one year. And we get below 0 degree temps here, no probs at all. Car ran the balls when it ran that cold.

Anyways, i would just do a 180, its a good allaround thermo. But like i said before - When u get a chip, tell them to turn ur fans on around 180ish, that should keep the car nice and cool.

some people say 160 is fine and some say dont do it. Personally I wouldent do it b/c our cars are so computer controlled and they have to reach a certin temp to be under "optimal" driving conditions and w/a 160 everything just dosent warm up like it should.

Striped5.0 said:
some people say 160 is fine and some say dont do it. Personally I wouldent do it b/c our cars are so computer controlled and they have to reach a certin temp to be under "optimal" driving conditions and w/a 160 everything just dosent warm up like it should.

160 is plenty high as far as the computer is concerned.

I had 192 when I bought my Stang , than I change to 180 and after a few months change again to 160 , car run fine , cold on summer and colder on winter , I have autometer gauge where show me 170 with high speed fan on , or 210 without high speed
My friend who have 10s 94 Mustang tell me 160 is too much , and engine could run rich, in next a few weeks I gonna switch again to 180