Should I get a trackpack installed, and which?

ichiro51

Aug 2, 2009
Sacramento
Sorry for the repost -- this might be the more appropriate group.

I want to improve performance but don't want to mess with my warranty yet.
When I got my 2010, I wanted the trackpack, but lost that option when I went auto (my wife needs to be able to drive it in emergencies).

My plan is to go to my local ford and have them install the components of the GT TrackPack I

GT Track Package I (manual only)
Performance front brake pads
3.73 axle ratio
Recalibrated AdvanceTrac®

OR, I could have them do package II, but I already have the 19" tires -- I got them as an option. So I would do everything below but not the tires (since I already got em).

GT Track Package II (manual only, late availability)
Performance front/rear brake pads
GT500 Sta-Bars and rear lower control arms
Retuned struts and shocks
19-inch Pirelli Summer tires
3.73 axle ratio with carbon plates in the differential
Recalibrated AdvanceTrac®, traction control and anti-lock brakes

Opinions much appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Just my .02. But I would take to car to a preformance shop and have a set of 3:73s installed,order a set of EBC brake pads and be done with it.You would most likely come out cheaper and since 3:73 are offered by FORD it shouldn't hurt the warranty any..gears are around 500.00 installed EBC high performance pads are around 100.00 compare that to 1400.00 option..

I agree with Sa-When....

FRPP gear and minor install kit new on Ebay should run you about $250-$300. Install is probably another $250.

Hawk brake pads are pretty cheap and you can install them yourself.

The jump from a 3.55 gear to a 3.73.....I dont know how much performance you will gain.

I don't know how much time you spend on the highway but you could always consider 4.10's, they really woke up my 05. Well worth it. I like my 3.73s, got it this way because it was better than 3.31 or 3.55 but will probably eventually end up with 4.10's again and I do a lot of highway driving. I don't really care about mileage either so there ya have it :D

Interesting thought going up to 4.11's. I don't mind losing 1 MPG or so, but I'm thinking the upgrade from 3.31 to 3.73 will be enough... More concerned about the stiffness of the ride with the trackpack. I should probably test drive one if I can find one, but it will be weird convincing them to let me drive one when I drive into the dealership in a brand new 2010.

I test drove both 3:73 and 3:55 cars.I really liked the 3:73s the car seemed to pull just a tad harder on the bottom side,Just didn't like pulling 3k at 90mph on the interstate. Yes I like hanging one out on the interstate [of course only when traffic premitts]
I have only had one car with 4:10s in it that was my 97 cobra, I went with the 4:10s because thats what everyone was saying[don't fear the gear] I hated the car on the intersate around town it was fun but I live in the middle of nowhere and have to travle to go anywhere. Just wasn't worth it to me.
Lets us know what you decide.

I test drove an '09 with 3.31s, all the 2010 Mustangs at my dealer had the 3.73 pkg. The 3.73s do pull better. I have the stick shift, FYI the 3.73 pkg only can be ordered with the stick. I'll let you know how the STB works out

K, based on the comments I've been getting from this and other sites, I'm going to just go with the gear upgrade. Probably 3.37's (I do a lot of freeway driving). But should I be thinking about 4.10's instead?

Why do you think that the trackpack options were for manual transmissions only?

I've read a lot of the past discussions but am still a little confused. Some people say 4.10's for automatics, some say 3.73's. Which is it and why? Can someone give me the final piece of the puzzle? Or just your opinion would be great too.

Sa-When, I think I know your opinion -- 3.73's right?

K, based on the comments I've been getting from this and other sites, I'm going to just go with the gear upgrade. Probably 3.37's (I do a lot of freeway driving). But should I be thinking about 4.10's instead?

Why do you think that the trackpack options were for manual transmissions only?

I've read a lot of the past discussions but am still a little confused. Some people say 4.10's for automatics, some say 3.73's. Which is it and why? Can someone give me the final piece of the puzzle? Or just your opinion would be great too.

Sa-When, I think I know your opinion -- 3.73's right?

I have an automatic with 3.73s and love it (big difference over stock gears). This Saturday I'm actually putting 4.10s in. I know the 96-04s are a 4 speed automatic but the RPMs are about the same as the 05-010 stangs. At 80mph with 3.73s I'm around 2,800 RPM. With 4.10s I will be at or just above 3,000 RPms. I don't have a problem cruising around at 3k on the highway but some people do. I have a buddy pushing close to 450 rwhp with his 05 automatic GT and he has 4.10s and loves it. The rule is if you are going to stay N/A then go with 4.10s if you are going to go F/I then go with 3.73s or 3.55s.

The only automatic mustang I ever drove was a 2001 V6, the others were manual V8s, so my opinion is just go with the 4.10. The mileage is going to be barely noticeable if any and it's going to wake up that car like crazy. I remember going from 3.55 to 4.10s in my 05 and I was like :jaw: the first time I got on it. Never regretted them, only wished it was an option from the factory so I won't have to buy gears and open up the rear end on my 2010 :nonono:

I had the same dilemna with my 04 5-spd. 3.73 not enough, but didn't want to sit and spin in 4.10s or worry about the highway rpms so I went 3.90s. 3.90s are more than fine on the highway. Also wouldn't be as harsh as 4.10s if I ever change my mind and decide to go supercharger. I went with Motive and did a Mikronite finish on them as Ford doesn't make 3.90.