Should I jump on this Vortech deal???

slayerripkdc

15 Year Member
Jun 3, 2003
brewster ny
I found a Vortech distributor/installer shop about 3 hours from me. They have a deal which consist of...Vortech V1 kit, with in tank pump, injectors and in house chip proven to lay down 370 to the tire on a dyno jet. All this Installed for 3050$ out the door! Should I jump on this deal? BTW the shop is located in Massacusetts.

• Sponsors (?)

I found a Vortech distributor/installer shop about 3 hours from me. They have a deal which consist of...Vortech V1 kit, with in tank pump, injectors and in house chip proven to lay down 370 to the tire on a dyno jet. All this Installed for 3050$ out the door! Should I jump on this deal? BTW the shop is located in Massacusetts.

If they're legit and you have the money jump on it

That's an installed and tuned price? If so, I pieced mine together for less than $3k including gauges and a wideband. It's still a helluva deal and a much better price than you could find within another year or two.

Thats a very cheap installed price, if you want a Vortech I say go for it....must be an older kit they had laying around.

V1 Strim-LOUD
V2-S Trim Quieter
V3- Si or Sci trim, more efficent, higher power potential, still quieter

Do they all build boost the same? Will the V1 support close to 600 with heads, cams and built bottom. Wondering for future reference when I get bored 5 years from now lol. I hate this hobby!
slayerripkdc, the V-1 can spin at a higher RPM than the V-2...as far as the price is concerned, I think it's a good deal if they're gonna tune it also...

370 is still high on a Dynojet. (Mine was on a Dynojet, btw.) As I said, it is VERY easy for a tuner to manipulate dyno numbers by changing correction factors or correction standards. My car picked up 14 rwhp switching from SAE to STD....

There are lots of people with an entry level centrifugal (intercooled) at 9psi, with simple intake/exhaust bolt ons, that make in the 360-390 range on a normal reading, non-doctored Dynojet. Heck, Vortech themselves rates their non-intercooled V3 (which I'm sure is somewhat more efficient than a V1) at 364 hp, which translates to only 309 rwhp through a 5-speed. CAI, exhaust, TB type stuff will maybe get you 25-30 rwhp, which still leaves you 30+ rwhp short of 370 rwhp.

It's like many have said before. A dyno is a tool for TUNING, not for measuring power output. Trap speeds are what actually tell the tale.

All this stuff being said, $3k for an installed, non-intercooled blower is a pretty good deal. BUT, if you have the ability to do it yourself, you'll probably wind up better off. Have you asked them if they will sell you just the parts? A centri install is VERY straightforward, and something the average car guy could do in less than a day. Heck, I could probably do it in less than an afternoon. $400 for an installed meth kit would be a good deal depending on the brand of kit and if it's trunk mount or not. A trunk mount AIS kit? YES, that's a great deal. A fender mount Snow kit...eh...an OK deal.

Also concerning methanol. While it is GREAT stuff (I picked up 7 mph in the 1/4 with it), I'd still say get an intercooler if you can afford it. It's simpler and easier to tune than methanol.