Should i mod my mustang?

mustangh9

Oct 9, 2008
Pennsylvania
I have a 1965 Mustang coupe with all matching numbers 177 straight six. It has a three speed on the floor. I'm thinking of droppng in a 347 stroker with a 671 blower on it. Also going to put in a c6 and a nine inch rear end. I'm not sure if its a good idea to change as much as I have to to do the swap. Thank you for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

I get the comments from people that I have messed up a classic by the changes I have made but they are FAR fewer than the compliments. My opinion is that if you can afford to and have the mechanical knowledge, do whatever you want to make the car you want. I was able to finally make the mods I always wanted and would have killed for this car back in High School so the pride I have is the best feeling in the world. If you need any technical help PM me as have the 347/ blower combo myself. Good luck whatever you decide!

Gut the car, make it fun.

But like a couple others said, have a plan cause the kind of mods your talking are big bucks.

If your just looking for something that will scare you pretty good. build a 302, you`ll be amazed what how well they perform in these light cars, mines downright scary as hell, and its a mild build.

a 347 would be fun, but would end up being a money pit. after changing everything you need to change to upgrade to V8 specs, you will have a very fast car that can get you into a lot of trouble, and could be a pain in the ass to drive during rush hour.

my advice would be to keep a six in the car, and build that. take the 170/3 spd and either wrap them in plastic and store them in the garage or sell them, and build a 200/T5 combo. while it wont be as fast as a V8 stang, you will have just as much, if not more, fun and you can make it reasonably economical as well. check out the forums at Ford Six Performance: The Web's Leading Resource for Ford Inline Six-Cylinder Engines and Cars! for a lot of good information on building the six, and check out the tech pages there also. and check out Classic Inlines Performance Parts - Home for performance parts for the ford six, including a new aluminum cylinder head now on the market. there are guys on the fordsix forum running in the low 14's and getting upwards of 25mpg with a daily driver six and a single one barrel carb. we have an efi forum there also, as well as an aluminum head forum.

a 347 would be fun, but would end up being a money pit. after changing everything you need to change to upgrade to V8 specs, you will have a very fast car that can get you into a lot of trouble, and could be a pain in the ass to drive during rush hour.

I don't know about keeping the six :D

but I would at least upgrade everything else first.

Depending on desired power levels, go with a 9" if you plan on racing it or an 8" if you just want to cruise around on the weekends.

Thank you all for your inputs. I have a ford nine inch and 2 302 blocks that need bored back to roun there both ten thousandths out. The blower is out tho i did some research and the free one i got needs a full rebuild all the bearings are shot and the vanes are both chipped and cracked. Do any of you know where I can get the v-8 front spindles I can't find them anywhere. I'm hoping to start the buildup while im on xmas break. any other advise woild be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your inputs. I have a ford nine inch and 2 302 blocks that need bored back to roun there both ten thousandths out. The blower is out tho i did some research and the free one i got needs a full rebuild all the bearings are shot and the vanes are both chipped and cracked. Do any of you know where I can get the v-8 front spindles I can't find them anywhere. I'm hoping to start the buildup while im on xmas break. any other advise woild be greatly appreciated.

You could try a Granada swap and put some disc brakes on while you are at it. Other than that, check ebay.

YES!!! you should modify it. but first upgrade the brakes. and change to V8 spindles. its worth it even if you try to squeeze power out of a 200 inline 6. more power will always require more braking power. i cannot support the idea of putting a 200 6 in the car with a t5 it would cost the same to do a V8 swap and won't offer the same performance. ford inline sixes are great engines for tractors and generators but not performance cars.

Didn`t they only put the 170`s in the 64 1/2 mustangs? I thought as of 65 they all had 200`s.

I think the 200 was phased in during the '65 model year. Some had the 170ci and some had the 200ci. I have a very early '65 model that has some '64 1/2 features, and the VIN decodes to it having a 200ci six originally. Ford probably used whatever was available at the time.

I say mod it. After all, yesterday i began the modding on my 65. Starting with a sawsall and a plasma cutter for the mini tub. The people that say keep it stock always make me laugh. As though there is no stock mustangs left. Im tubbing, notching the frame this week. Then on to the fuel cell mount, through floor subframes and kirkey seats. OH, and dont forget the 10pt cage.. and this WILL be street driven with 650rwhp. Go big buddy!!!

"The people that say keep it stock always make me laugh. As though there is no stock mustangs left" ............................... not to mention all the things ya gotta do just to make it stock again!!!!! ................... 40 some years later most stock mustangs aint stock !!!!! ..... LOL.