should there be a grove on your input shaft?

muddslide

Mar 10, 2003
DAYTONA BEACH
I pulled my tranny out a few weeks ago and just noticed it has a grove on the input shaft. The grove is approx 1/2 long almost at the end of the shaft. I'm not sure if the barring seized up and caused this or if its normal. The tranny is a toploader 4 speed. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Is it actually on the input shaft proper? Or is it on the bearing retainer shaft/sleeve, this is the part that your release/throwout bearing travels back and forth on. If it is on the bearing retainer shaft then it is a sign of wear and most likely your release bearing is getting hung up on it and causing you grief. The bearing retainer shaft needs to be replaced. This will make it so your release bearing will move smoothly and not hang up.

The only grooves on the input will be the ones the clutch disc slides on. NO others. The front bearing retainer sleeve doesn't even come close to the end of the input shaft. If you do need a new front bearing retainer, they are available new from 4speedtoploaders.com

Well , I can't truthfully answer that question without seeing what you've got. The same website also offers the input shaft, and any other part that a Toploader could ever need, He's even building new Toploaders from the ground up. New cases and tailshaft housings.