Should've listened to you, Dave (MansonOzz). LOL

bottlfed92

Aug 16, 2004
Canada
:hail2:

As mentioned in my mod list thread, I purchased and installed an MSD 8456 distributor over the winter. I had it running fine the other day.:shrug:
On Sunday, I had it running to warm up for hte 45 minute drive to a cruise/Dyno Day. Came out.....It died. It was as though I turned the key off. Tried to start it again, and all it wanted to do is turn over:notnice: . Replaced it with my stock alternator....VOILA!:nice:
They're recommending I swap the stock module for the MSD unit, as they figure that's the problem.:nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

As mentioned in my mod list thread, I purchased and installed an MSD 8456 distributor over the winter. I had it running fine the other day.:shrug:
On Sunday, I had it running to warm up for hte 45 minute drive to a cruise/Dyno Day. Came out.....It died. It was as though I turned the key off. Tried to start it again, and all it wanted to do is turn over:notnice: . Replaced it with my stock alternator....VOILA!:nice:
They're recommending I swap the stock module for the MSD unit, as they figure that's the problem.:nonono:

Im confused.... did you buy an MSD Alternator or Distributor? Ive heard nothing but bad about the MSD Alternators, but everyone i know uses the MSD Distributors with no problem :shrug:

yeah this sounds wierd...
i have a msd dizzy and the only problem i had was that the pick up coil gave out after a yr of racing and driving ...easy fix..
my alternator is a 200 amp from PA

On Sunday, I had it running to warm up for hte 45 minute drive to a cruise/Dyno Day. Came out.....It died. It was as though I turned the key off. Tried to start it again, and all it wanted to do is turn over:notnice: . Replaced it with my stock distributor....VOILA!:nice:

Sorry...Fixed. I did the same on my Club Forum, too. LOL.
I know of 2 seperate cases where MSD Distributor owners have had the same problem. Encouraging to know that it may be limited to a few lemons. I'm gonna throw the MSD unit back in tonight and replace it with the stock module.

On Sunday, I had it running to warm up for hte 45 minute drive to a cruise/Dyno Day. Came out.....It died. It was as though I turned the key off. Tried to start it again, and all it wanted to do is turn over:notnice: . Replaced it with my stock distributor....VOILA!:nice:

Sorry...Fixed. I did the same on my Club Forum, too. LOL.
I know of 2 seperate cases where MSD Distributor owners have had the same problem. Encouraging to know that it may be limited to a few lemons. I'm gonna throw the MSD unit back in tonight and replace it with the stock module.

Ahh, i gotcha... i bought the msd-8598 dizzy since my car is carb'd and i was getting worried about what on yours actually broke..

:rolleyes:

;)

I thought the same thing too; put my stock electronics on the brand new MSD and it still **** the bed on me. Put all stock components back in, and never had a problem again.