Signs you need a new clutch?

Power4

May 10, 2004
Rochester, NY
I'm wondering how you know when you need a new clutch? This car is my first manual so I'm not very knowledgeable this stuff. I know when it starts slipping it's a pretty good sign it's time for a new clutch but I'm not even sure what a slipping clutch feels/acts like. How many miles do most people get on these clutches? I've got about 22,000 on my car so far. Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

Normally you will be able to see and feel slippage first in 3rd & 4th gears when your RPM's are low and you jump on the gas. Try cruising along in 3rd or 4th, mash the gas & watch your tac. If the cars Rev's build quick without gaining speed or you hear the engine revving without gaining speed your clutch is shot. You may also smell the burnt clutch compound. 22000 is not much on a clutch. Remember everytime you slip /release the clutch you are wearing down the clutch compound. Clutch replacement is a 400.00 to 800.00 repair done in a shop.

I think going 10 MPH at 4000 RPMs is a pretty safe bet the clutch is shot! Thats what happened to me after a long smokey burnout on XMAS day. :nice:
Looking now for a good Stage 2 or Stage 3 that can handle my abuse and my blower. :D

I think going 10 MPH at 4000 RPMs is a pretty safe bet the clutch is shot! Thats what happened to me after a long smokey burnout on XMAS day. :nice:
Looking now for a good Stage 2 or Stage 3 that can handle my abuse and my blower. :D

Or maybe Santa put a set of 5.13's in your rear for x-mas....lol. :nice:

My clutch let go at the track during a burnout, my buddy on the side line said almost as much smoke came for the bell-housing as the tires. Not a good night.

Or maybe Santa put a set of 5.13's in your rear for x-mas....lol. :nice:

My clutch let go at the track during a burnout, my buddy on the side line said almost as much smoke came for the bell-housing as the tires. Not a good night.

Yep same thing happened to me...I had so much smoke in the car I didn't know if it was coming from the tires or from underneath! :D

What did you end up getting as a replacement clutch?

Well I came on here looking for answers and got one... not what I wanted to hear though. I have had several sticks and this is first one going to have to replace.... i have a 2005 Mustang Vert and I guess I should be feeling greatful though, I just turned over 100,000 on it and it's original... also I am a home care nurse and do a lot of city driving...... so having a love/hate with having to replace this thing... Dealer told me over $1000 he thought (the customer service guy) sounds like I need to do some looking around first! Thanks for the info though!