Slicks + highway, how dangerous?

• Sponsors (?)

Driving over an hour on slicks is a bad idea in so many ways.

1: They aren't DOT approved... therefore not legal or exactly safe to use on the hwys.

2: Slicks are expensive and have a very short life, running them on the HWY is only going to waste their life and not make use of them.

Consider throwing the slicks on a spare set of rims and then putting them in ur hatch/trunk/backseat. When u get to the track switch out ur street treads for the track set.

If they're a TRUE slick...save 'em for the track. If they're DOT's..then of course you're fine. Running a true slick for a short distance..you MIGHT be Ok..if the roads are dry. Run into rain and you've suddenly got serious problems.

Take a small jack and a lug wrench with you and drive on your radials...taking curves with a true slick is dangerous in itself..... driving an hour on them is pushing it......not to mention if you get caught at a redlight and the police pull behind you :(

yeh i didnt think it was a good idea.

usally i bring them in the back with a jack, but when i take off the street tires i have no where to put them. i cant just leave my street tires in the parking lot while i run my car. and they wont let me run with tires in the back of my car i have tried that.

this is pissing me off

yeh i didnt think it was a good idea.

usally i bring them in the back with a jack, but when i take off the street tires i have no where to put them. i cant just leave my street tires in the parking lot while i run my car. and they wont let me run with tires in the back of my car i have tried that.

this is pissing me off

You can't get anybody to come with you in their car? My Wife always goes with me and I load everything up in her Explorer. See if a friend wants to go with you and load everything up in their car. Or find someone on Stangnet who is going on the same day and hook up with them when you get there.

As long as it doesnt rain your fine. I drove to Englishtown and back with no problems. And not knowing on the way there I only had 15lbs of air in them, its an hour and a half ride for me! :D But on the way back I pumped them up to 28lbs.

tsk tsk. :nono: Bad idea. Oh and looking at your sig why exactly with a 13.8 second car do you need slicks??? :shrug: Just jokin bud.

UPDATE

well i brought a length of chain and locked my tires to a fence post.
it worked out pretty good.

also i ran a 13.8 @ 97mph and a 1.8 60' time.

the only mods i have are 3.73's pullies and exaust, so i am pretty damn proud of myself.

launching at 5000 rpm of course:D

i have a 100hp shot im gonna throw on there so im hopeing to be in the 12's next time