Slicks

90lx347

Apr 8, 2003
Cottonwood MN
How big of a slick will fit on a stock 7in rim and not rub the heck out of the wheel wells? im willing to get a spacer if i have too. ive seen some cars in mags with 26x10s but they didnt say if it was mini tubed, or not. :banana:
i really dont need to know how big i can go, i just what to know what your using that works, i will have a 347 with 3200 stall, c-4, with 8.8 3.73s with posi. :nice:
thanks in advance for your help :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

That's pretty impressive....what year is your car?? I know after i think 1990 when the Ponys came out they made the wheel wells bigger to compensate for the larger diameter rims, but i've never heard of 10.5s not rubbing at least the quads. I'm not doubting you, in fact i hope you're right, cause i'm planning on some BFG DRs later this spring for my 10 holes. Do you have stock springs? By that i mean, do you know if they're the originals or have you replaced them with some fresh factory rate springs?

Ok i'm guessing by your name that your car is a '91? That would explain a little. Can you post some pics of these?

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
That's pretty impressive....what year is your car?? I know after i think 1990 when the Ponys came out they made the wheel wells bigger to compensate for the larger diameter rims, but i've never heard of 10.5s not rubbing at least the quads. I'm not doubting you, in fact i hope you're right, cause i'm planning on some BFG DRs later this spring for my 10 holes. Do you have stock springs? By that i mean, do you know if they're the originals or have you replaced them with some fresh factory rate springs?

Ok i'm guessing by your name that your car is a '91? That would explain a little. Can you post some pics of these?

You had me thinking there for a minute so I went and checked my invoice for the ET Streets, as maybe they weren't 10.5's. Confirmed they are 10.5's so I don't know what to say. I am running 18 x 9 " rims all the way around on the car, these have caused a VERY LIGHT rub mark on the quad shocks, which is caused by hard cornering only, as there is clearance when the car is straight. The clearance is minimal however it is there. The suspension is stock - except for 1 3/4" lowering springs. Nothing further has been done. I will get my son to post some pics as he is the digital camera wiz in the family. I still relate to the Polaroid Swinger of the 70's !

Rick

Sweet...i've still got a Polaroid around here somewhere from when i was a kid...But anyways, at the very least i'd think you'd have to flip the quads to get them to fit on a lowered car, but hey this is good news, as that's the size tire i'm looking to buy. I'm having my 10 holes widened 2 inches in the back by Weldcraft so they'll fit better.

The 10.5" ET Street isn't a 10.5" tire...that's why it fits well. It's not a bad size for the 7" rim, but an 8" or 9" rim would work a little better and still fit well.

When the wheelwells were widened on the newer cars, that was only in the front...the rears stayed the same.

Oh, BTW...I always wanted to see a car with a set of 10-holes widened in the rear and cut down in the front. Thought it might be interesting. Post pics when done!

The tires hook well, I am the part of the equation that's keeping my 60' from being better. I was only cutting a 1.9 and the car was bogging out of the hole. Didn't have time to experiment with launch rpm's as I developed a slight tranny leak and didn't want to push things. Anyway, I installed a tach and found the factory one to be reading WAY LOW at higher rpms. This would account for my bogging. Should be able to improve the 60' with a higher rpm launch this year.

the ET Street actually only has about 8.3" of contact patch - so they fit well on the 7" rim. My understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, is the ET DRAG in a 10.5" is actually a ten inch wide tire. The sticker that was on the ET STREETS said it could be mounted on as narrow as a 6" rim. Seems a little narrow for my liking however who am I to argue with MICKEY THOMPSON ! :hail2:

Rick