Slightly Damp driver side carpet

Hey thanks for that thought. The rest of the interior, dash, glass and carpet areas are all dry. I’m banking on the cowling or weather strip around the door or perhaps no leaks and it’s moisture left over from a previous event before I bought the car which hasn’t dried out yet. Once this cold and wind is gone I will investigate and start with drying the carpet and wiping it down really good underneath.

• Sponsors (?)

So today was the first warm beautiful day in NY in a very long time so I took advantage and went out to the driveway and tore things apart a bit in an effort to solve this problem taking into account all the advice and ideas that were given. I won’t know for sure until we have some rainy days but going by today’s findings and replacement work I’m confident it’s solved.
I pulled up the carpet, wiped and dried as suggested to me. It was a tiny bit damp but nothing major and no rust. Left over moisture it seems. I pulled the kick panel as suggested. Nice and dry! I replaced all the weather stripping both side doors and the hatch. The doors were all chewed up but now nice and fresh. I pulled the cowling and took a look inside. No rust. However, see the pictures attached. OMG! A piece of sandpaper was stuck in there as well as some hard unidentifiable object! Wtf! Left over from the paint job before I bought it. I also sanded the rust spot on the passanger side door frame and coated it with rustoleum then some color to protect in the future. The rust didnt punch through so I was happy about that. I also took a peek behind the fenders with the scope and they were clean of rust.
it was a great productive day and with all the findings and clean up today I think this problem should be solved. New weatherstrip and cleaned cowling as well as wiping the floor board down should help. If not then I will look at the windshield but fingers crossed for now.
Thanks for all the ideas and advice!!!
pic is what was in my cowling pushed all the way to the driver side underneath and halfway over the hole (or drain or whatever that is. Lol)

Attachments

• 63A47FC0-D584-4280-82AA-7E712D789B65.jpeg
    63A47FC0-D584-4280-82AA-7E712D789B65.jpeg
    649.7 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: 1 user
So today was the first warm beautiful day in NY in a very long time so I took advantage and went out to the driveway and tore things apart a bit in an effort to solve this problem taking into account all the advice and ideas that were given. I won’t know for sure until we have some rainy days but going by today’s findings and replacement work I’m confident it’s solved.
I pulled up the carpet, wiped and dried as suggested to me. It was a tiny bit damp but nothing major and no rust. Left over moisture it seems. I pulled the kick panel as suggested. Nice and dry! I replaced all the weather stripping both side doors and the hatch. The doors were all chewed up but now nice and fresh. I pulled the cowling and took a look inside. No rust. However, see the pictures attached. OMG! A piece of sandpaper was stuck in there as well as some hard unidentifiable object! Wtf! Left over from the paint job before I bought it. I also sanded the rust spot on the passanger side door frame and coated it with rustoleum then some color to protect in the future. The rust didnt punch through so I was happy about that. I also took a peek behind the fenders with the scope and they were clean of rust.
it was a great productive day and with all the findings and clean up today I think this problem should be solved. New weatherstrip and cleaned cowling as well as wiping the floor board down should help. If not then I will look at the windshield but fingers crossed for now.
Thanks for all the ideas and advice!!!
pic is what was in my cowling pushed all the way to the driver side underneath and halfway over the hole (or drain or whatever that is. Lol)
Nice man! I was right there with you enjoying this weather!
A little work on the car, a little yard work..... very little time inside on this awesome day for early March!

Nice man! I was right there with you enjoying this weather!
A little work on the car, a little yard work..... very little time inside on this awesome day for early March!
Love it!!!! And the rest of the week should be as nice as today!!! Moving forward we are going to have fun!!! Exciting! Lol
The yard work needs to get done as well on my end. We are gonna have to do a balancing act now. A little of this and a little of that each day. Glad you had a great day Rdub!

Haha..... you hit the nail on the head with the balancing act!!
The act gets easier as the daylight gets longer though!
Love it!!!! And the rest of the week should be as nice as today!!! Moving forward we are going to have fun!!! Exciting! Lol
The yard work needs to get done as well on my end. We are gonna have to do a balancing act now. A little of this and a little of that each day. Glad you had a great day Rdub!

That hard mess looks like old factory seam sealer. Glad you didn't find a disaster under there.

Update: it rained all day yesterday and during the evening. I just checked and she’s 100% dry! Problem seems to be solved. Thanks for everyone’s suggestions and ideas. I post this update for those who may have the same problem so they can see what worked for me as maybe it will for you.
Checking the cowling to find a piece of sandpaper stuck in there as well as some other foreign substance and changing all the door and firewall weather stripping worked. I also pulled the carpet and used towels and a blow dryer to do away with the moisture that was previously there. Today for the first time she was 100% dry! Thanks guys!

Reactions: 6 users