Slightly Damp driver side carpet

91AOD5.0LX

I have a slight sag in my rear
Feb 20, 2021
Lake George NY
Any ideas why the driver side carpet would be slightly damp after rain even when the car is covered with a waterproof cover as well as a tarp covering the windshield and the cowl vent? I’d have to run a hose when the weather is warmer but for now don’t understand why with basically 2 covers the floor is slightly damp.
PS: The floor pans are not rusted.
Any ideas would be appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

Water has to be getting in somewhere. If it's covered with waterproof stuff no one could answer this question.

Boostedpimp said heater core. Heater core is on the passanger side though right? And in addition the car is in storage (not driven).
Not sure anyone will have an answer but maybe some ideas because I’m sure I’m not the first to experience this issue.

Boostedpimp said heater core. Heater core is on the passanger side though right? And in addition the car is in storage (not driven).
Not sure anyone will have an answer but maybe some ideas because I’m sure I’m not the first to experience this issue.
yeah sorry I over looked the driver side portion.. if it was passenger then yes could be heater core but not on the driver side

Water can get in the door and spill over into the car if the drains are clogged. Water can come I the windshield area. Water can leak in from around sunroof. If cowl is plugged up it can cause water to get in vehicle ( rare ) usually passenger side. While sitting there are actually few places that will allow water to get in vehicle. If there are cracks or holes in the cowl or a pillar area they can cause leaks. A bad door to body seal could cause a leak. There's nothing on the drivers side that carries any fluids.

Driving water can get in through the steering column to firewall boot...or even from behind master cylinder.

What you'd need to do is remove the drivers kick panel, door opening trim panel, and pull carpet back. Use a stick or something to prop it up. After a rain look in there and see it you see water.

Sometimes condensation can be bad enough in a vehicle to cause fabrics to get damp and sometimes mold. There could be a leak in the trunk or hatch area under the spare that causes water to evaporate into on on the glass that could then drip on the carpet.

This is a very hard issue to help with when you say the car is covered completely with waterproof stuff.

cowl or possibly a leaky window seal... I have seen where the seam sealer dried up and cracked allowing water to leak by at the base of the winshield. We only found it because we had the fender removed though

Thanks for taking the time to write guys.
Ok so my door to body weatherstrip is chewed up and I do have the replacement to install when it’s warmer outside. Maybe that will help. I like the idea to lift the carpet and look after the rain to see what’s happening. I can see now that there is plenty that can be happening here and my best bet is to wait for warmth and examine the cowl, the door frame, windshield and door area, etc while running a hose. The puzzling part to me is that it’s covered. Very weird. Good food for thought from you guys. Thank you for thinking this out with me.

Have you thought about a rodent with a large bladder?:rlaugh:
Where on the driver’s side floor is it wet?
That’s funny! Rodent with big bladder! Hey, ya never know! Lol
So it gets wet directly under the floor mat. On the area where the rubber mat is built into the carpet. It gets a little damp, not really wet at all. Just damp to the touch of fingers. Under the floor mat would be some condensation. Doesn’t happen anywhere else. Strange because the floor isn’t rusted and the carpet around that built in rubber area isn’t wet. Just slight dampness on the edges of the carpet around the rubber part and condensation on the rubber itself. So the car has a tarp over the cowel vent and windshield, a water proof cover over it, hasn’t been driven and a floor mat on the carpet with no rust on the floor but yet still gets damp. Weird.I outlined it in red where it gets damp.

Attachments

• 7D96197F-F84E-4828-B4B3-C5ADCB86C392.jpeg
    7D96197F-F84E-4828-B4B3-C5ADCB86C392.jpeg
    389.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 1BD34534-1A71-43BD-BB80-695119606B69.jpeg
    1BD34534-1A71-43BD-BB80-695119606B69.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 62
Have you just noticed that this has been happening recently or could it have been something persisting for a while if you haven't been on your hands and knees around the carpet / footwells cleaning or working etc? I'd start with being disciplined with a heat-gun in that tight space or a solid hairdryer on max.

Do this and also go hell for leather scrubbing the area simultaneously with a big thick pile microfibre cloth. If you do this every day for a couple of weeks it should be bone dry again eventually and you can figure out if maybe this happened a while ago and just has never really had a chance to dry out.

As someone who had the pillar post area weather strip giving a zig-zag line into the car through the rubbers tangling/folding up in the channel it got a soaking and pooled around the rear passenger footwell areas and this is what I had to do get it feeling dry again even long after I'd fixed the seals!

Would feel very wet still in the pile for a long time on cold mornings even after a week into this routine.

Good luck on the mystery!

Have you just noticed that this has been happening recently or could it have been something persisting for a while if you haven't been on your hands and knees around the carpet / footwells cleaning or working etc? I'd start with being disciplined with a heat-gun in that tight space or a solid hairdryer on max.

Do this and also go hell for leather scrubbing the area simultaneously with a big thick pile microfibre cloth. If you do this every day for a couple of weeks it should be bone dry again eventually and you can figure out if maybe this happened a while ago and just has never really had a chance to dry out.

As someone who had the pillar post area weather strip giving a zig-zag line into the car through the rubbers tangling/folding up in the channel it got a soaking and pooled around the rear passenger footwell areas and this is what I had to do get it feeling dry again even long after I'd fixed the seals!

Would feel very wet still in the pile for a long time on cold mornings even after a week into this routine.

Good luck on the mystery!
Hummmm, ok maybe this is it! I bought the car in December so I can’t say if it’s a new or old
Problem but I just discovered it myself a few weeks ago when I bought new floor mats. The mats were in the car for a week or so and when I went to shamooo the carpet I took the mats out and discovered the bottom of the drivers side was a little wet and the rubber part built into the carpet was slightly damp and the perimeter around it. I have been checking it every few days since then and it’s always the same. The days have been very cold around here so when i check it’s always cold to the touch which makes it feel more wet but it’s actually just a little damp. So now you have me thinking maybe it’s been damp since I bought it 9 weeks ago and never noticed because I’m still looking around and learning the car. In other words I don’t know this car and it’s history upside and down yet.
im going to take your advice by scrubbing it over and over again and using a hairdryer and see if it eventually stays dry. This could be it! Thank you!

Pull the kick panel off and the door sil cover, lift up the carpet and if it is damp you'll need to dry that out too, at least I would,
Definitely going to do this. I’m starting to think maybe no leak and it’s been wet since I bought it and it just needs to be dried out with the hairdryer and microfiber rags, etc. I will pull off the covers and get in there good under the carpet and keep at it until it’s bone dry then see again next time it rains hard. I’m hoping it just needs to be dried as you guys said. Good info!

Two things. Silicon moisture packs under the seats and carpet will help keep condensation away. They are odorless. They are cheaper available so don't order what's on this screen shot pic. Dri-it is a good brand though.

Screenshot_20210302-204828_Amazon Shopping.jpg

My favorite is the hanging closet moisture damp rid. It smells good like febreeze but may have to air the car out a bit before driving but no more musty storage smell. I've hung them off the hanger hook on a few cars of mine that I let sit outside. You have to check them and make sure they don't get full.

Screenshot_20210302-204843_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Thinking about it.... I need to go to the store and pick up some of these.

Two things. Silicon moisture packs under the seats and carpet will help keep condensation away. They are odorless. They are cheaper available so don't order what's on this screen shot pic. Dri-it is a good brand though.

Screenshot_20210302-204828_Amazon Shopping.jpg

My favorite is the hanging closet moisture damp rid. It smells good like febreeze but may have to air the car out a bit before driving but no more musty storage smell. I've hung them off the hanger hook on a few cars of mine that I let sit outside. You have to check them and make sure they don't get full.

Screenshot_20210302-204843_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Thinking about it.... I need to go to the store and pick up some of these.
Awesome suggestion!!!!!! I never thought of using that in the car. I actually use DampRid canisters in the laundry room behind the machines and boiler room with small bags of charcole to absorb moisture. Didn’t think to put that in the car. Thank you for bringing this to my attention as well as the Dri-it moisture packs. I didn’t know of them. I’m going to to pick some up tomorrow. Regardless of having a damp issue or not this is a great idea to keep inside while the car is in storage. Thanks!

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 user
From your pics the car looks pretty clean. I apogee for the kinda sharp remarks earlier. Some people come in with some rough stuff and there's no way of knowing without a pic. I think that's some old moisture just hanging around. Hopefully when it warms up you can get us some more pics of that beauty.

What's hiding under that ash tray door ?

From your pics the car looks pretty clean. I apogee for the kinda sharp remarks earlier. Some people come in with some rough stuff and there's no way of knowing without a pic. I think that's some old moisture just hanging around. Hopefully when it warms up you can get us some more pics of that beauty.

What's hiding under that ash tray door ?
Thank you and no worries about the remark. Lol I completely get it. All good! Yea, in my opinion she’s pretty clean and there are lots of things I can do without much effort to make her even cleaner and bring some of the issues back to life. Small things for me to address but nothing major that I’m aware of yet. Hope it stays that way. The ashtray door would just flap open and hang a bit sideways. I had to fish it out. Lol that’s a thin bead of butyl tape hold it flat and shut for now. Just temporary. I picked up a replacement ash tray, lighter, and door spring from LMR. Once the weather cooperates over here I will see about reattaching the spring and making it work again. The plastic hinge looks fine so I think it’s just the spring that needs to be replaced. Then I will pop in the new polished ash tray and clean lighter to complete that compartment and move on to the next thing. But yea, good eye, just a little puddy holding it down until it can be fixed properly. I didn’t want to use tape or anything that would leave a marking behind.
The Butyl will peel right up and for now seals it in place.
Thanks for the compliments. I’m happy with her so far and excited to fix all the little issues. Pics to follow for sure. Thank you again!

Reactions: 1 user
I’m betting on a firewall or windshield leak and condensation since door weatherstrip is taken. Does it have a sunroof?
No sunroof....
I have the door and firewall weather stripping so those will be replaced soon.
Between the new weatherstrippings and drying out the carpet I think it’s going to be ok (optimistic) and if not then yea, I’m gonna have to dig deeper, possibly windshield or something else. I have a feeling though it’s old moisture that just needs to be dried up. Time will tell but whatever it takes I will deal with it whichever way this goes. I’m open to all advice and ideas so
Thank you for that.