SLP Loud Mouth

300bhp/ton

Apr 4, 2005
England
Ok, been looking at exhausts and I want to check something.

All of the exhausts for the Mustang seem to be listed as axleback as opposed to catback.

Presumably this means these only fit from the rear axle backwards. Does this mean you remain with a section of stock exhaust between the mid pipe and axle back or what???

Also is the SLP LM simply to bits of short bent tubing with some shiny tips????? Seems to be a heck of a lot of money if it is :notnice:

M31014-1.jpg

How many mufflers are on the s197's in stock trim? Does the LM mean you end up running no mufflers at all?

• Sponsors (?)

The exhaust runs into twin catalysts. The reason they are axlebacks is that the pipes that run from front to back are, in fact, extremely straight and efficient so there is no gain to be had there. Even axlebacks will only give a maximum of 7bhp in a complete overhaul of intake and exhaust so they're very much for tuning the noise of your Mustang from soft to loud. Loudmoths have no mufflers but the cats do a reasonable silencing job. A guy on www.S197.co.uk has the Loudmouth and I had a replica Loudmout on my Z28 and the noise is loud but not too loud (depending on your view).

Yeah I have to say I have a soft spot for the Loud Mouth. I have one on my z/28 and I love it, but it could do with being a tad louder at idle still.

I was thinking of running a Mac Pro Chamer (stock cats and manifolds) into a SLP LM on a Stang (as and when I get one....)

I just hope it will be loud and deep enough. Don't like the racey exotic sounding setups as much. In fact probably the biggest thing I'll miss about getting rid of the z/28 is the OHV sound track it has. The Ford 4.6 mod sounds good :D IMO espcially for a OHC but it just doesn't sound like an old school OHV.

S197 GTs have 2 mufflers and if you get slp you will have no mufflers.

+1. The SLP LM's are just a muffler elimination kit. I just ordered them from LMPerformance on Monday night, and they were $319 shipped. Best deal I have found for a while. It would be cheaper to buy some nice tips and get a custom muffler elimination setup, but I don't want anything that custom on my car. Plus, you can do it yourself, and I don't want to pay someone for custom work that I COULD do myself if I had the equipment.

i had SLP LM's on my 01 Gt... all i can say is... wake the dead doesnt not even begin to describe the sound of that car, i just put magnaflow axle back mufflers on my 07 gt. the sound is good and deep if you are looking for for LOUD i would go with the SLP or magnaflow muffler eliminators. but you will get a horrible drone at highway speeds (at least my 01 did) the magnaflow mufflers are really nice as they give me a deeper muscle car sound and dont make road trips and exercise in self abuse. when you get on the gas it opens up nicely.

Yeah I have to say I have a soft spot for the Loud Mouth. I have one on my z/28 and I love it, but it could do with being a tad louder at idle still.

I was thinking of running a Mac Pro Chamer (stock cats and manifolds) into a SLP LM on a Stang (as and when I get one....)

I just hope it will be loud and deep enough. Don't like the racey exotic sounding setups as much. In fact probably the biggest thing I'll miss about getting rid of the z/28 is the OHV sound track it has. The Ford 4.6 mod sounds good :D IMO espcially for a OHC but it just doesn't sound like an old school OHV.

Yes but the LS1 never had the same rumble as the older school iron blocks but it had a different firing order. one of the things that attracted me to the S197 was the burble from the stock exhaust.

My LM also had a very loud but almost pleasurable drone on load around 70. Never bothered me because I was travelling way faster and lifting off the throttle a touch restored tranquility. The guy I sold it to did 70 so had mufflers welded in.

I do like loud but I can't justify changing them yet again. A friend put straight-throughs on his Z06 and had to put bullet mufflers in as it sounded like running water on the over-run from behind. Not good.