Small knicks on cam bearing and cam lobes

gnx547

Sep 26, 2006
There are 3 small knicks on the cam bearing and I can feel it with my finger nail. Can I use emory cloth to smooth it? There are also a few small pin size knicks on the cam lobes. Can a machine shop smooth out the lobes? Can I use emory cloth?

I tried taking some pics but the knicks do not show up well.On the cam bearing you can see it a little bit on the top right side and for the cam, the top of the third lobe you can see a little bit of the knicks

2h6dki8.jpg

1r95kp.jpg

29bj976.jpg

2mrgyh0.jpg

ftq2q.jpg

10ej60y.jpg

Attachments

• 2h6dki8.jpg
    2h6dki8.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 172
  • 1r95kp.jpg
    1r95kp.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 192
  • 2mrgyh0.jpg
    2mrgyh0.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 744
  • ftq2q.jpg
    ftq2q.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 315
  • 29bj976.jpg
    29bj976.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 324
  • 10ej60y.jpg
    10ej60y.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Sponsors (?)

The spot you zeroed in on in the cam bearing looks ok but the other side of it looks like it was seizing. The cam is JUNK! The lobes are coming apart, not nicked. They look like a rear axle that ran low on lube. Trash can time.

Here is a pic of normal wear. Normal wear is basically "no wear". If you were to polish this one in a parts washer with some scotchbrite it would look new. It only has staining from oil and witness marks from the rollers. Yours is JUNK. Use it for home defense weapon.
smallcam.jpg

I notice on the cam bearing one oil hole on the bearing is open and the other one is closed. Should the other oil hole be open? Or is there just one oil hole opening?

iyq7fc.jpg

Attachments

• iyq7fc.jpg
    iyq7fc.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 244
On my old block both oil holes are open. This engine short block is from a Explorer. So then the Explorer 5.0 motors only uses 1 oil hole? I just don't want to wipe out the new cam.

3166zr4.jpg

Attachments

• 3166zr4.jpg
    3166zr4.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 244
having two holes will not hurt anything looks to me like it was lacking a bit of lubrication. what brand cam is that? did it come with a coating? if i were you i would change out the lifters as well as i think someone already said.

On my rebuilt short block on the front cam bearing I just have 1 oil hole that is open not 2. The cam is a Crane 2031. I assume it came with coating, the cam was already in the engine when I bought the car.

Pull the front cam bearing and make sure your block does not have 2 holes. If it does then either your cam bearing spun or was incorrectly installed. You can install a front cam bearing without much hassle and it doesn't look to be in great shape anyhow. I can't answer whether your block has 2 holes or not.