Small piece of rubber fell into spark plug hole

RedLight

Jan 5, 2021
Georgia
I was installing new spark plugs, and a 1/2" long piece of rubber fell down the spark plug hole on the cylinder wall. It came off a slim o-ring that sits at the top of the plug hole in the manifold. I tried vacuuming it out, it eventually fell in between the piston and the wall.

I don't know if I should worry about it, should I take out the piston? It fell into the plug closest to the driver.

2010 GT, 4.6L

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Attached is a picture of the debris at the bottom. It has gone deeper and cannot be vacuumed out at this point.

Attachments

• Capture1111.JPG
    Capture1111.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 249
I would make a little mixture of 50% Marvel Mystery oil and 50% Oil (or just oil). Pull the spark plug, pore mixture down cylinder, let it sit about 5 minutes. WITH THE SPARK PLUG STILL OUT, pull coil wire off, and then crank the engine over for few seconds. See if any thing spits out. If not, put the plug back in and attach the coil wire and take it for a spin. Let us know what happens GOOD LUCK!

Reactions: 1 user
Man, that's the first time I've ever seen anyone besides myself mention Marvel Mystery Oil. Been using that in my vehicles for many many years. In the gas, and sometimes in the oil. I run 20W-50 in my V6 Ranger, but thin it down with MMO when winter comes around. That's only if oil change time hasn't come around yet.

Man, that's the first time I've ever seen anyone besides myself mention Marvel Mystery Oil. Been using that in my vehicles for many many years. In the gas, and sometimes in the oil. I run 20W-50 in my V6 Ranger, but thin it down with MMO when winter comes around. That's only if oil change time hasn't come around yet.
Yea, I like too, I have a Toro lawn mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine. My Dad bought it when I was 10 years old (47 years ago). it would, (I should say I ) mowed a 1 Acre lot from March to October once a week.

Every season in the Fall, on the last mow M.M oil was poured down the carb until it shut down (flooded it). In the Spring, the blade was sharpened, fresh oil and Gas mixed with M.M was poured in the mower, sometimes a new spark plug and the thing would firer right up for another season.

My parents downsized (no lawn to cut) The same year I bought my House, and I was given the mower.I still follow the ritual. The Grass catcher bag is long gone, the “Choke / Run” throttle is busted and ZIP tied to the handle, I replaced the rope on the pull start twice.

My Wife hollars at me at the end of the season when I pour the MM oil down the carb.
“WHY DON’T YOU GET RID OF THAT DAMN THING, YOUR SMOKING OUT THE NEIGHBORHOOD!”…… I can’t,It still runs great!

I lost my Dad to liver Cancer 1 year ago (81 years old)…..And although I HATED it when I was a kid, when my Dad would come out of the House as I was mowing the grass, and motion with his two hands in a vertical Karate chop motion (this meant, keep the mower straight, overlap your cuts, don’t waver). I still think of him fondly every time I cut the grass, and of coarse every time I smell M.M. oil.

I use M.M oil when I store my “66” I rev up the engine and slowly pour some M.M. down the 4 barrels until I see smoke coming out the exhaust (or when my Wife comes out of the house and yells at me). I then put my hand over the carb (starving it for air) so it dies. Every Spring just like the lawnmower it will start right up once the gas makes it to the carb.

Reactions: 1 users
I would make a little mixture of 50% Marvel Mystery oil and 50% Oil (or just oil). Pull the spark plug, pore mixture down cylinder, let it sit about 5 minutes. WITH THE SPARK PLUG STILL OUT, pull coil wire off, and then crank the engine over for few seconds. See if any thing spits out. If not, put the plug back in and attach the coil wire and take it for a spin. Let us know what happens GOOD LUCK!
So why MMO and oil?

I just took the Mystery out of MMO and think it might not be on the market (in at least CA) for long without a major formula change. Please use gloves.

It is mostly a light, cancer causing oil, and some dry cleaning safety solvent that is also carcinogenic. I think a different fogging oil is a good idea. That’s too bad.

Attachments

• 87A02105-66B9-40ED-B6AE-FEA8DFB045FE.png
    87A02105-66B9-40ED-B6AE-FEA8DFB045FE.png
    272.2 KB · Views: 156
So why MMO and oil?

I just took the Mystery out of MMO and think it might not be on the market (in at least CA) for long without a major formula change. Please use gloves.

It is mostly a light, cancer causing oil, and some dry cleaning safety solvent that is also carcinogenic. I think a different fogging oil is a good idea. That’s too bad.
Always use proper PPE! Gloves,Goggles,Respirator ect. My Father used the stuff a lot, and only lived to be 81 year old (see my prior post).

I was trying to ask - Do you think it will help dissolve the rubber piece or grab it get spit out with the extra oil?
I know some of the solvents in B-12 chem tool are hard on rubber and plastic in full concentration, (Their plastic bottles got brittle if stock was not rotated), and was wondering if MMO was, too. I do not think the pumped up lighter fluid would be too quick to dissolve rubber, but I do not know the effects of Stoddard solvent on rubber.

I was trying to ask - Do you think it will help dissolve the rubber piece or grab it get spit out with the extra oil?
I know some of the solvents in B-12 chem tool are hard on rubber and plastic in full concentration, (Their plastic bottles got brittle if stock was not rotated), and was wondering if MMO was, too. I do not think the pumped up lighter fluid would be too quick to dissolve rubber, but I do not know the effects of Stoddard solvent on rubber.
I was thinking it would lubricate and hopefully dislodge it from the cylinder, by cranking the engine. You could try turning over slowly by hand using the crank bolt and check the position of the rubber every 1/8 or 1/4 of a turn. That way if you feel a lot of resistant at some point, you may want to switch plans.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user