Small scratch / dent on new Scat crank

SpotOn

Feb 6, 2011
Hello all, new to the forums.

I recently purchased a 331 stroker kit from a west coast company. the kit included:

- Scat cast crank

- Scat forged rods

- Probe piston

- Bearings

- Rings

Over all I am very pleased with the components, but...

The problem I'm having is with the crank shaft, the first one had a groove in one of the journals (apparently from the balancing machine. Sent it back with my flywheel and damper for a replacement crank).

New crank shows up with old balance sheet (I thought I would get a new balance sheet) and a little dent on the rear main seal surface of the crank. I've attached a couple of photos, what do you guys think?

Is it impossible to get a perfect crank through the mail? wtf!

Attachments

• scratch 1.JPG
    scratch 1.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 543
  • scratch 2.jpg
    scratch 2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 695
  • Sponsors (?)

It wouldn't make me happy, but you can polish it out yourself and save the cost and hassle of shipping it back. I don't think the seal rides that far back anyway, but you might want to do a quick pre-assemble to check.

Like you said, I don't think the seal rides that far back, but it could catch the seal as it slides on.

What's the best way to polish it out?

They paid shipping both ways last time, they have been very cooperative but it's been going on for over a month now.

I've had success taking self-inflicted dings out of cranks by first using a Riffler file (you can often find them at good hobby stores) to knock off the high spot, then cut some 400 grit into 1" strips and work it back and forth like a shoe-shine boy until you can't feel it with your bare hands. Then clean it with some Brake-Kleen to get any grit out and call it good. Hope this helps!

Deep inside I really want them to keep sending me new crankshafts UNTIL they get it right.

I paid a lot of $$$ for the kit, it's kind of aggravating.

On top of it all, I don't think they even balanced the crank with my damper and flywheel after I paid to send it to them.

Deep inside I really want them to keep sending me new crankshafts UNTIL they get it right.

I paid a lot of $$$ for the kit, it's kind of aggravating.

On top of it all, I don't think they even balanced the crank with my damper and flywheel after I paid to send it to them.

Then it's up to you to decide whether the time you'll lose messing around with them is worth getting what you want and have paid for. I'm like you in that I want satisfaction in return for paying a high price. That said, it will probably be another another month, and you'll likely have to stay on top of them, communicating your expectations exactly.

I'd probably do as Zookeeper says with the nick, but if you can ascertain that they did not do the balancing work, then you should send it back (or get a price adjustment).

Yea, I'll have to see. They were adamant from the beginning that my flywheel and damper wasn't required to do a proper balance job.

I their words, they balance it with their stuff and then put on my pieces and run a check. I was told that they never see anything need to be rebalanced.

I was also told they've never seen a scratched crank (from the balancer pad) and that I am the first one with such a problem. Seems like am their first customer with a lot of "first time" problem occurrences.

I sent an email off to them with the pictures of the nick. I let you guys know what they say.

I've probably built 6 or 7 engines over the last 15 years, several balancing jobs and one crank sent out to have the thrust bearing welded. None ever came back with any scratches or nicks.

I for one, would not accept that. I know it's easy for me to sit here and make this comment knowing you are anxcious to get started in assembling your engine. But, that is totally un acceptable and they should be inspecting their cranks for the slighest of flaws. For all you know, the jouranls could be out of spec. if this is what they are shipping out the door.
And yes, they should be paying two-way shipping!

I would contact Scat with your story and pics and see how they feel about having their products sent out like that:nono: You can bet dollars to donuts that it didn't leave Scat's facility with either of the issues you've encountered.
My $.02,
Gene

I'm really tempted to send it back. The email response made me feel like I'm being too picky, I don't know.
The sales guy told me he looked it over personally before it was sent out... and he is surprised it's dinged.

The funny thing is he told me last time that he was too busy to check on it because he was the only guy on the phone and couldn't go into the back to check on it.

His response was that it won't be a problem due to the location. I asked what about sliding the rear seal over it, couldn't it nick the seal?

He is one smooth talker, what ever I want to hear he tells me.

Also, this isn't a fly by night company, they are a really big shop, maybe too big.

Nicks and dings

You've already got the best advice on how to deal with the nick. But just to share a "best practice" of reputable engine builders: measure everything you can. A simple v-block setup on a workbench with a dial indicator will allow you to check for journal out-of-round and taper on the mains. Buy or borrow a height gauge and you can check stroke index.

Like Reagan said, "trust, but verify".

Quick update. I decided to send it back.

I don't think the sales guy likes me very much, oh well.

I mean, why the hell should all the risk of running a dinged crank be put on me? If I start it up and the crank breaks do you think they would even consider it their fault? No way!
They would put the blame all on me for doing something wrong.

This way I take the risk associated with the crank off the table. If something happens now, then it would just be unfortunate and I eat the cost knowing the crank was as perfect as it could be.

Quick update. I decided to send it back.

I don't think the sales guy likes me very much, oh well.

I mean, why the hell should all the risk of running a dinged crank be put on me? If I start it up and the crank breaks do you think they would even consider it their fault? No way!
They would put the blame all on me for doing something wrong.

This way I take the risk associated with the crank off the table. If something happens now, then it would just be unfortunate and I eat the cost knowing the crank was as perfect as it could be.

Bud, you did the right thing, I have a recommendation. PM if interested.

Wow, I'll never buy from this company again.

I've got to tell you guys, this place has some serious issues.

They really don't care what you want, they end up doing what ever they feel like doing.

I sent my damper and flywheel in to get balanced with my replacement crankshaft and the new crankshaft shows up at my door before they ever got my damper or flywheel!

Bottom line is, they really have no control over what the heck is going on. If you don't really care about the details or what you get, this place is for you! But I'm a detail guy and like to have control over what happens to my parts. I like their Pistons, but man, I'll never deal with this hack shop again.

I guess the fact that they told me to go shop somewhere else has a bit to do with it too.

:rlaugh:

As if that wasn't already planned and on my to do list....

:D

I've got to tell you guys, this place has some serious issues.

They really don't care what you want, they end up doing what ever they feel like doing.

I sent my damper and flywheel in to get balanced with my replacement crankshaft and the new crankshaft shows up at my door before they ever got my damper or flywheel!

Bottom line is, they really have no control over what the heck is going on. If you don't really care about the details or what you get, this place is for you! But I'm a detail guy and like to have control over what happens to my parts. I like their Pistons, but man, I'll never deal with this hack shop again.

I guess the fact that they told me to go shop somewhere else has a bit to do with it too.

:rlaugh:

As if that wasn't already planned and on my to do list....

:D

OK, PM with this vendor's name.