Smog pump delete ?s..already did some research but....

Methodical

Dec 1, 2003
Clinton, MD
Hello all. I've been doing some research on this and got quite a bit of information but still have a few ?S that I did not see addressed. I am going to remove all the smog equipment EGR included. I found a cap that fits the header tube so that is taken care of.

1. Can I just leave the smog pump on and plug (cap off) the hole that the hose is connected to? Will there be a negative affect from pluggin the smog pump hole vs. just removing the smog pump. BTW, I do not want to use a short belt. So it will be this method or a smog pump delete kit.

2. I know the bolt needed to plug the holes in back of the heads size is 5/8-11 but what is the proper length bolt to use. The smallest bolt I can find is a 5/8-11 1" long bolt. Will this fit or is it to long? I prefer to use a bolt instead of the insert with the slot just in case I have to remove the bolts and reinstall the smog stuff to pass emission.

Thanks for any help.

Al

• Sponsors (?)

1. Go for the smog pump delete pulley and remove the whole smog pump assembly.

2. Buy a pair of Trick Flow thermactor plugs to block off the holes in the back of the heads.

Since you have the Tweecer RT, you should be able to optimize the engine tuning under all conditions and make the engine run cleaner than stock even without the smog/EGR crap. The smog/EGR are relics of the 60's/70's and have no place on an efficient, clean-burning, fuel-injected engine. Remove them and put them on display in a museum. ;)

I used bolts that were longer than that (about the same length sticking out the back of the heads as the air tube), and the transition from the threaded portion to the straight portion is the sealing surface. Worked great for me.

I also gutted my air pump and put it back on. The inside has a vaned piston that runs like an eccentric to pump the air. If you just try to cap the outlet tube, it will be blown off due to the air pumping action. After I gutted mine, I capped it and it's been that way for a couple years now. :nice:

Good luck!
Scott

Since you have the Tweecer RT, you should be able to optimize the engine tuning under all conditions and make the engine run cleaner than stock even without the smog/EGR crap. The smog/EGR are relics of the 60's/70's and have no place on an efficient, clean-burning, fuel-injected engine. Remove them and put them on display in a museum. ;)

Ive always wanted to delete all the emissions equipment to unclutter the engine bay, what (if any) negative effects will this have to the car? Not tryin to hijack, but i figure the poster could use this info too

Ive always wanted to delete all the emissions equipment to unclutter the engine bay, what (if any) negative effects will this have to the car? Not tryin to hijack, but i figure the poster could use this info too

From my research there are no negative affects to the car. You just might get a CEL for removing the EGR/Thermactor. But I will can just turn the EGR and Thermactor off with the TwEECer.