smog pump elim. procedure?

jaymac

Feb 18, 2004
Northern Mass
When removing the smog pump, what hoses/ lines do I have to remove/plug and are any sensors going to be thrown off and mess up driveability by this? I already have an offroad H pipe so emissions is no longer a concern... Then, do I have to get an eliminator brakcet or can I just run a shorter belt, and what would the advantages/ disadvantages be of running a bracket or running a shorter belt? And how long would the belt have to be (I'm also eliminating the A/C and am trying to decide If I should go with an eliminator pulley or just bypass it w/ a shorter hose....
Thanks for any help-
Jeremy

• Sponsors (?)

the 86 5.0 we put in the comet had a shorter belt on the engine to bypass the smog pump and it ended up rubbing on itself and breaking the belt. Added a bypass pullly and havent had a problem since. Aside from the smog pump all other accessorys were 1986 stock.

Dr.

You can eliminate the smog without buying a bracket. Just run a shorter belt. There are two ways you can run the belt. One way you'll be in danger of rubbing the other way (check my link) is the best way. You'll have to plug all the vacuum hoses that goes to the pump and also the line that runs to the back of your heads. I think that's about it.

I had to buy a 72.5" belt after removing the smog pump and I do not have the A/C.

I pluged the tubing comming from the head and my prochamber had a tubing going to the smog pump... had to plug that too.

Ladies at work say that my car smell gazoline.. I dont smell it .. guess those girls have a noze too sensitive.

yeah, the smog tube on my H pipe is already welded off, and the tube is plugged in the engine bay, so I guess just plug the other stuff... so with no a/c bracket and no smog pump bracket, a 72.5" belt will work?? is that with or without a tensioner? I would think without, right?

I believe I have a shorter size belt. The March bracket I have allows the alt to be pulled in closer to the motor. If you want to go my route I can get the belt size I used. I have the FMS P/S pump kit (moves it up to where the a/c was) and the March alt bracket kit. I have underdrive pullies but I don't think that changes the belt size.

jaymac said:
yeah, the smog tube on my H pipe is already welded off, and the tube is plugged in the engine bay, so I guess just plug the other stuff... so with no a/c bracket and no smog pump bracket, a 72.5" belt will work?? is that with or without a tensioner? I would think without, right?

Go to that site .. I use a 72.5" route the same way as the 70.5 on the site.
I have underdrive pulley too put I doubt it change something ..
http://www.carbdford.com/tech/belts.htm

jaymac said:
So you did the routing in the top right-hand corner bypassing the p/s? or the one on the bottom w/ the smog and a/c bypassed??

I use the top right .. but instead of being the AC its my PS there .. so that might explain the 2" over.... p/s pulley maybe bigger than the a/c

MavericK5L said:
I use the top right .. but instead of being the AC its my PS there .. so that might explain the 2" over.... p/s pulley maybe bigger than the a/c

I used "Plug cape assortemnt" bought that at Canadian Tire.. guess you US guys can find that in your local shop. it goes around 5$ and there is 8 plug of direcent size . the one I use was 1/4 for the big tubing going to the head..and 1/4 for the prochamber

i just basically took mine out although i did get too long of a belt. didnt change any positioning of the front end accesories. if you go that route i have a/c and i used a 78" belt. probly would have to say a 77.5" belt would be better because when the motors warm and the belts expanded there is little space between the belt running at the tensioner and the belt coming from the water pump to the alt.
hope that helps.

-kurt