Smog pump HELP

94chirps

Jun 25, 2018
USA
Hello I have a 94 Mustang GT the smog pump is making a grinding noise I was just wondering if I use the delete kit do I have to block off the tube that goes to the exhaust and how should I do that I have a stock exhaust

• Sponsors (?)

If you still have cats, you'll want to keep the air pump in place. Deleting it may cause your cats to eventually clog up and fail.

A-1 cardone 32292 is the p/n for a replacement pump.

But to answer your question, you can run a shorter belt and reroute the belt to eliminate the air pump pulley in the routing. Then remove all the lines and cap the tube at the H-pipe and to the back of the heads.

Ok thanks a lot for your help, so if my smog pump were to seize.. I could get a shorter belt and reroute it to get me home right I just couldn't drive it long

Yes, take a look at this thread at the various belt routings. You can bypass the air pump and the a/c compressor by simply rerouting the belt. I believe the lengths given work with stock pullies.

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/94-95-mustang-serpentine-belt-routing.780853/

Bypassing the smog pump won't immediately start clogging the cats. You have time. The lack of supplied o2 from the pump just means the cats are not as efficient. Some of the raw fuel from the engine doesn't get burned off and over time it will start to build up on the cats. How much time you have really depends on a number of factors. It could be 6 months, it could be 2 years before it's an issue.

Thanks a lot for the reply I appreciate it yes I am going to replace my exhaust with an aftermarket anyhow I'm trying to find one used now I want to cut out the cat just do H pipe and cat back