Smog pump questions, bypass?

Josh94gt

May 10, 2003
Gilbert, AZ
My 94 started making a new sound yesterday morning (don't we all love those "new sound" problems?). It reminds of the "chirping" sound from a throw out bearing, but it has a more metallic, mechanical sound if that makes sense. I am almost positive it is coming from a belt-driven pulley or accessory. I took it into a shop and they pulled the belt then manually turned all the pulley/accessories and said the smog pump was the only thing that made any real noise.

Is this a type of sound that could come from the smog pump? From what I found on here I get the impression that it would be more of a constant whirring or squealing sound. Any other ideas on what it might be?

If it is the smog pump, how difficult is it to put on a new one, keeping in mind that I would have to purchase the necessary tools and I do not have access to a lift, just a floor jack?

If I just run a short belt for now will the smog pump be good for an emissions check next year or do you think it might grenade as soon as I hook it back up?

I'm really just looking for any second opinions and maybe a little motivation to do this on my own. I'm no mechanic, but I've swapped alternators, changed oil, installed the CAI and magnaflow catback exhaust on my stang. Of course, that was when I had my dad's garage and his tools to use.

If I do run a short belt, would it be worth the price of an aftermarket H or X pipe with cats?

I was quoted $400 to install a new smog pump, and I know I can buy a new one cheaper at autozone and just put it on myself if the tools are not going to cost a couple hundred bucks (of course, I don't mind buying tools because then I'll have them for later).

One more question. Where can I get the clips that attach the air deflector to the bottom of the car (the black plastic piece under the front bumper)?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Could be the pump. If you remove the belt and spin the pump, you should be able to hear it squeak (or chirp).

If you can do an alt, you can do a smog pump. There's 3 bolts on the pulley. Then the belt comes off. Then remove the discharge hose and the two bolts on the pump. The pump falls out. Reinstall.

If a pump is not used for a period and you live in a damp climate (you don't, sans monsoon season, but in case anyone else ever reads this............) the pump might seize. They dont like moisture or inactivity.

Good luck.

My smog pump died and the 94-95 was around 100$. The fox pump is ALOT less. I am running a fox smog pump on my car. Took 0 mods to make it work other than swapping the pullies.

The hose had enough room/play/slack to just fit and work fine with no cutting or anything.

Just an update - it was the smog pump. I purchased a re-manufactured 94-95 pump at autozone for about $100 after the core refund. The fox pump did not come with the piece needed for the discharge hose, so I didn't bother with it (it needed a separate piece that bolted onto it). I can see how it would work just fine with the other part, though. The job took all of 30 minutes. Thanks for the advice!!!

That is wierd?

My fox pump has a diff. angle on the air hose fitting but I used it with no other parts and it worked fine.

Are you saying the pump did not have any tube fitting on it?

Or

that you need a seperate fitting on top of the one attached to the pump?

When you buy a reman'd fox smog pump, it does not include the discharge port. You're to remove the two bolts holding it onto the old pump and use the supplied gasket and bolts to affix the tube to the reman'd pump.

The fox pump discharges on the passenger side of the housing but since there was concern for the ABS component there, the port was relocated to the rear for 94-95.

I also chose to add a 45* fitting and a short jumper of hose to attach the stock rubber plumbing to the fox pump. I didnt want to chance kinks or breaking the hoses.

Mine had enough slack in the line to fit without any kinks or clearance issues and my ABS box is right there too.

Now that I think of it, the "wiggle" room may be due to me cutting the hard line of the hose to the cats YEARS ago and using high temp rubber hose. I actually had to zip tie it out of the way in the engine bay I have soo much room and slack in the hose routing.