Smog Pump Removed

• Sponsors (?)

How does everyone feel about the smog pump removed. I'd like everyone's input
You will need it if you have to pass emissions. If emission testing is not required for you car then throw it in the trash. I just short belted mine but make sure you remove all the other crap and get an o/r mid pipe. Some people will notice more of a raw fuel smell from their tail pipes (because that's what the cats help out with!!) and people end up buying some aftermarket high flow spun metallic catalytic converts to help out with that.

55186417.jpg

I don't have my smog pump on the car and it runs fine. It really doesn't make a difference in the way the car runs and it's my daily driver. Definitely worth doing as long as you don't have an emissions check.

Since the OP didn't elaborate, the entire purpose of the smog pump is to pump O2 into either the heads during warmup (to feed the pre cats) or the lower cats during normal use. The O2 is used in the cat converters to help "convert" some of the harmful gases. These are how older 3-way cats work. They need O2 as part of the process, and the air pump, which is what it really does, supplies fresh O2 to them.

Modern 2-way cats don't depend on o2 as part of the process, so this is why air pumps aren't on newer cars. Simply not needed.

So, the air pump can be removed if: You are not running ay cats, or you changed to modern 2-way cats which some aftermarket vendors now sell.

If you still run stock 3-way style cats, and need to pass a sniffer, you NEED the air pump running. If you no longer need to pass a sniffer, and remove it, the cats won't be as effective. You may notice a bigger stench when standing behind the car.

smog pump stuff is like 5-10 pounds, and 0.25HP

Last edited:
If I can bypass my smog pump without buying a pulley, just a shorter belt, I'll go that route for now. My smog pump is squeaking when first cranked up. I'm thinking it's on its last leg and about to go.