Engine Smog pump replacement with Novi 2000 installed

hssnpny

May 30, 2002
SoCal
Need to replace the smog pump and wondering what I'm in for. It looks like a tight fit to get the pump out the bottom after pulling the alternator. I just really hate pulling the supercharger, getting those ducts back on are a pain. Anyhow, wondering if anyone knows.

Also, I noticed the damper/pulley assembly wobbles quite a bit. I can rotate it, wiggle it side to side, and push it in and out about 1/4". What would have to had happened for there to be that kind of play?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

When you remove the pulley the rest of the assembly is pretty small. Mine came out the bottom no problem if I recall correctly.
The good news - with the balancer removed you'll have even more room.
The bad news - your balancer sounds like it's shot.
25 years and some hard pulls will cause the dry-rotted rubber to come apart.
Assuming you mean your balancer (on the end of the crank) when you say damper / pulley assembly that is.

Thanks for the comments. Good news about the smog pump, hopefully I'll have time this weekend, and I'll find out for sure.

As for the balancer, I'm pretty sure I replaced that 5-6 years ago, not that it couldn't have failed again, but it doesn't feel like the rubber is shot. Either way, I'll have to pull it and see what's going on. I imagine the added strain from the blower belt doesn't help things.

Even the deal with the smog pump is odd. I had noticed the serpentine belt was frayed, so I started looking around and noticed the smog pump pulley had a flat spot melted into it. I took the belt off so I could check the pump, expecting it to be seized, but it spins nice and smooth. Can't imagine what else it might be. The car had started stalling at idle occasionally, and I think that was the cause.

Anyhow, thanks again, have a great long weekend.