Smog Pumps..Rebuilt vs. New vs. Used

I live in Kommifornia and need a working smog pump. I had my original sieze and bought a rebuilt one from Autozone. This began a series of 4 replacements occuring every other month. I also changed one of the check valves and checked the other.

After much research, it looks like very few companies rebuild these things and sell them to all the parts jobbers. What does the original Ford units have that is lacking in the rebuilds? I'm assuming the rebuilds use cheap bearings. Also, are there any rebuilds worth a flip?

I just want a simple working replacement I can forget about for another 150K miles like the original Ford one. This is my daily driver with 224K miles.

Anyone figured this one out (other than eliminating the pump)?

Thanks,
Mike

• Sponsors (?)

i think mine is going/ gone out, its loud as fck sounds like bad bearings over there, i need one to so ya i wana know to. i was thinking of just asking some of these people on here that took there smog 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me' off.

The smog pump is a vane type air pump. Oil or small amounts of junk can cause the vanes to break and sieze up the pump. Check the air inlet for the pump and make sure there is no oil or dirt getting in. Some pumps use a sponge type filter element and others use a centrifical "slinger" type filter.

Mine is original with 175k on it. It recently started making some noise and binding somewhat, so I took it apart, cleaned all the dust and grease crud out and relubed the bearings as best I could. They were all in good shape, just either gummed up or dry. We'll see how long it works like that.