SN95 BOOSTER too much for stock braked GT?

CaverDave

Feb 2, 2011
I'm thinking about going with a later model booster for a couple reasons:

- All the JY OEM boosters are likely as old & in the same shape as my ruptured Fox booster
- Seems a lot of the "93 Cobra" boosters are really SN95 hack jobs (studs cut & welded back on) from the re-builder
- The SN95 boosters don't command the $30+ premium of the "Cobra" booster, are generally more plentiful & easier to come by

While I'm not phased by having to slot the holes or the install, I *AM* concerned it may make the brakes ridiculously sensitive. Seems there's a bunch of folks saying it's way too much pressure... maybe a result of SN95/aftermarket 4wheel disc swaps?

Is anyone running this combo booster with stock disc/drums that can comment?

I need to do something this weekend as the lack of assist, while it will stop the car, is just making me paranoid with all the hypermilers, lookie-lou's & brake tappers around town...

• Sponsors (?)

Granted the stock Mustang brakes are not the best, but for normal street driving situations, the stock booster will work fine. Most of the "I'm out of brake" problems are due to hard replacement pads, poorly maintained rotors and drums. The cheap hard replacement pads (limited lifetime warranty) from the big auto parts retailers will cause you not be able to stop quickly enough. Stand on the pedal and they don't seem to be supplying sufficient braking action.

Some quality pads, stainless steel brake lines and stainless steel guide sleeves will fix most of your brake problems and you will not be troubled with too much boost from your booster.

Check out Brake Upgrade Package, 1987-93 [BP-1] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader! Maximum Motor Sports for this kit - it has all you need.
BP_1.jpg