sn95 disc brakes on classic mustang?

nickm347

Jul 13, 2003
I was wondering if you can get the spindles off of a sn95 mustang and use latemodel cobra brakes in say a 69 mach 1. i know there are conversion kits by baer and SSBC and whatnot, but they tend to be a bit pricey, i have a 25% discount from ford and i was thinking i could get some spindles at the junkyard, and calipers cheap from ford, i have already priced 13" Cobra Calipers for $111.50 or something like that. Im sure i would have to work on the brake hoses/lines and mastercylendar, but i dont know much about it at all, anyone have any ideas or info? thanks a lot for anything i can get
-Nick

• Sponsors (?)

you can use the sn95 spindles IF, you get the upper ball joint adaptor from someone like factory five racing, AND, you modify the spindle the way fat man fabrications does to make them work with the rear steer rack they use. you will also need 17" wheels.

imshaggy2000 said:
Im putting 13" cobra disks on my car right now, with 71 mustang drum brake spindles, it just takes a lot of measuring, time, and some machining of brakets + 17" wheels. I'm not done yet, but I will be soon.

do you have any in progress pics or any drawings or anything on waht you have done so far, i for one would be curious as to how it would all work, i have been planning on using the late model calipers on my stock spindles but if i could fit a larger rotor in as well that would be great, altough i don't think i want to go quite as big as 13", probably more like 12" so i can keep my 15" wheels

I might be the first guy doing it, but its not like its a huge undertaking and I have seen way crazyer things done by less capable people then myself. I'll go out to the garage and take a few snap shots, I dont want to give it all away untill its done and then ill do a write up on it.

bnickel - its not really a good idea IMO to use a different diameter rotor then your caliper was intended for, you wont have the right amount of pad contact. With my braket you will be able to use ether the cobra 13" brakes or the stock sn95 11" brakes on a 70-73 mustang drum brake spindle.

ok went out side took a few pics, here they are:

Rough diagram of bracket, ill be making one on AutoCAD shortly
LinkPhoto

Heres what it looks like mached up
LinkPhoto

I made this bracket last night out of heavy gauge sheet metal to support my caliper and make sure my rotor to caliper clearances where right, everything was dead on, goes to show you measure everything 3 times, and make sure your math is sound, if you don’t know what the law of cosines is you probably don’t want to do this.
LinkPhoto

Here’s one of the spindle I’m using
LinkPhoto

I don’t have a lot of room to work, it’s a 3 car garage and my dads 33 ford Victorian kit car/hot rod (that’s going to be 383 Chevy powered), and moms Honda prelude take up most of the space.
LinkPhoto

The original cobra spindle, same as a sn95 spindle
LinkPhoto

as you can see making the bracket is going to be semi tricky but I have a revised design in my head, and I should have everything in a CAD and ready to be CNC'd with in a week or two.

hey dave ive seen that site before, I also found a guy that was making adapters just like those but the costs got too high up there for him and he had to stop. I couldnt use somthing like that for my conversion because i wanted 13" cobra rotors, they are compleatly different from the 11" granadas. I had to go with a 70-73 drum brake spindle so i had a place to mount the bracket, and a spindle hub for lack of knowlege of a better name to put the rotor on. The diagram isnt done yet, I'll make a autoCAD drawing of it soon. One neat thing about it is you should beable to use both sn95 11" disk brakes that you can get for next to nothing on ebay or junk yards, or cobra 13" disks. The only down side is you will have to get 70-73 drum brake spindles if you dont have them already.

Other upcoming projects include a turbo charged, aluminum headed, roller cam, EFI, 351w, a sport ratio j car rack and pinon with the pro-motorsport bump steer kit that should make my turning radius exceptable and get rid of any bump steer i might have, thought there shouldnt be any with my design, 11" rear disks with gm calipers and ford rotors or a mustang 8.8 with rear disks, x cage subframe connectors, roll bar style roll bar and 4 point harnesses, 70 mach 1 interior, custom gauges, 5 or 6 speed trans, custom strut tower and monte carlo braces, and the list goes on and on

awesome work imshaggy2000. I have been thinking about what you have made for a few weeks now. When I have some time, I was gonna make some caliper brackets for a 65-66 spindle that would allow the use of more modern components. Looks like you may have beat me to it. Good luck with your endeavour. Maybe sometime I will be able to check out your project (my folks live down by Venice beach).

SandSprite said:
awesome work imshaggy2000. I have been thinking about what you have made for a few weeks now. When I have some time, I was gonna make some caliper brackets for a 65-66 spindle that would allow the use of more modern components. Looks like you may have beat me to it. Good luck with your endeavour. Maybe sometime I will be able to check out your project (my folks live down by Venice beach).

Thanks, everything is going slow right now because of the holidays and school but i hope it gets done soon. One reason i chose the 70-73 spindle is for its beefy-er design, I forget what they are called but the spindle is stronger then the earlyer years and i figured that would be a good idea for a performance aplication.

Drum spindles should be rather easy to come by right now, cobra slotted rotors run about 150 depends where you shop, calipers I can usually find them for 200.

Then if Shaggy decides to produce a few of his brackets see how much he would charge.

Not sure if anything else would be neccesary. Other than lines and master cylinder of course.

I'd be interested. Sign me up.