sn95 disc brakes on classic mustang?

• Sponsors (?)

70stangcoupe said:
I've never seen anything about this swap. :shrug:

I've seen fox brakes on a classic though.

If you can put fox brakes on a classic, then you can put 94+ on a classic... the latter is a direct bolt on to the former. You simply bolt the 94+ spindle on and go out from there. I did this swap on my 90' and have run the cobra brakes for several years now with no problems at all.... and it stops GREAT!

DD-

Hey SHAGGY....

How is that autocad coming????

If not the Autocad, I'd be glad to pay ya for a copy of all the drawings, and I'll turn it out on a Bridgeport. (i cant make out the dimentions on the one you posted, plus i hate to take your stuff without compensating you for all your time)

Let us know how it's coming...
Dave-

I spoke with Shaggy, he does not want to sell parts due to liability issues. Probably wise on his part &^!(*# lawyers!

He said he'd get the drawings accurized and updated with yet another round of "improvements" to his original design. I have already offered parts and/or services for his trouble in leiu of money. Once i get them (with his permission of course) I'll make them available to anyone who wants them for no charge and with no warranty expressed or implied (*&^#!^@# lawyers!). He's very busy with life right now so just be patient :D

ddonaca351 said:
Yeah I'm ready.

I'll turn some out on the mill, out of some 6061 or something....

Since I don't charge me for labor, they should be cheap. :D

Dave

I think prolly 2024 might be a better choice in AL, along with the proper heat treatment (T6). This is going to be a highly stressed part, especially since the braking force is going to try to rotate the bracket around the hub axis, and has a fairly long lever arm to multiply the torque. If heat treating is out, I'd go for 7075...

Hey Edbert / Shaggy / anyone..... did anybody ever get some numbers to work from? Heck even if their just prelim, it would be better than starting from scratch.

If legality is an issue, just post a pic with a very stern disclaimer that they are for informational purposes only, not to be used on motorised vehicles, for trailered show cars only, whatever.....

Do you want to see a grown man grovle???? :D :rolleyes:

Dave-

I offered CAD data of the SN95 caliper brackets, spindle, hub and rotor to Shaggy. Never heard back from him. I had to go through a couple other CAD systems, but now have the data converted to DXF. Have (2) files, 300k and 485k.

I met a guy at the 40th anniversary celebration Ford held at World Headquarters on May 20th. His '65 coupe has 13" front and 11.5" rear SN95 Cobra rotors and calipers. He did exactly what I suggested in this thread http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=452124 He made a 0.5" thick bracket to take the place of the stock drum to disc adapter Ford used on '65-66 cars. BTW, this car was also fitted with stock Bullit/GT wheels/tires.

If anyone in the Metro Detroit area wants a look, he said he'll be at the SAAC-MCR-29 show this Sunday at Ford World Headquarters. Don't know the guy (only met him once briefly), and not speaking for him. His car is a '65 coupe in Eleanor paint scheme.

The bracket I've laid out is missing one critcal dimension, the in/out distance from the hub face (where the rotor seats or the wheel studs protrude through) to the machined face on the spindle where the backing plate mounts. If someone wants to provide, I can finish my design and publish.

It would be good to have this dimension from all years.

Guys, I DID hear back from Shaggy. Real Life was beating him a up a bit and he had to take a hiatus from SNF to get everything back on track. He assured me that when things settled down he'd let me know. Also the preliminary design he did has undergone a revision.

I am as anxious as the rest of you, I've got a set of SN95 Cobra rotors and calipers sitting in their boxes in my garage in addition to the 71-73 drum spindles.

Edbert said:
Guys, I DID hear back from Shaggy. Real Life was beating him a up a bit and he had to take a hiatus from SNF to get everything back on track. He assured me that when things settled down he'd let me know. Also the preliminary design he did has undergone a revision.

I am as anxious as the rest of you, I've got a set of SN95 Cobra rotors and calipers sitting in their boxes in my garage in addition to the 71-73 drum spindles.

See, on mine I already have the 70 front disc... so I figured I would take whatever dimensions or drawings I could get, and adapt / modify to fit the disc instead of drum spindles. If any of you guys / gals are willing to share, I would be very interested. We can work out pricing / trade / whatever, if thats an issue.
Thanks for the link HSR, Im going to go check that out now....
Dave-
:spot:

Okay all, here is your chance to help this process along. The attached drawing shows what dimensions are needed from your drum brake spindles:

A. In/out dimension from hub face (where the rotor seats, or the wheel stud threads become visible) to the machined face on the spindle where the backing plate would be bolted.
B. In/out dimension of back side of hub (where grease seal is) to the machined face on the spindle where the backing plate would be bolted.
C. Diameter of the hub face where the rotor mounts.
D. Diameter of the hub where the grease seal is. Outside diameter of the hub casting itself.
E. Machined face for backing plate (measured as if it was a diameter).

When responding, please indicate what year spindles you have and if your dimensions are in inches or millimeters.

I will create a drawing of a bracket for each applicable year based on the dimensions provided and the original SN95 CAD brake information I already have.

Let me know if questions.

hsr said:
When responding, please indicate what year spindles you have and if your dimensions are in inches or millimeters.
I have a set of stock 67 power discs I can measure for you. I also have the 71 drum spindles, but since they are only the spindles I cannot get most of those dimensions for them. I bought the 71s based on them being beefier than the 67 ones.