Progress Thread SN95 "Project Father & Son" 1994 GT

So still father and son time though!:D

That's one way to put it. Yeah...it does qualify.

Good news, the Energy poly bushings have arrived for the lower control arms.

Bad news, the Fiore Micro Click Firewall adjuster I bought off some dude on the Corral flaked. I paid but never heard from him again so 2+ weeks later I've filed a claim with PayPal. Some people suck! That's the best firewall adjuster ever made, I'll have to locate another.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

UPDATE - We are at a stall with progress because of the Summit Upper / Lower Control Arm set (see pics on previous page). I need to either replace these bushings or buy a new set. I wasn't asking Summit for freebee at all.

Well Summit returned with a reply to the issue about their red house Upper / Lower Control Arm Set.

Apparently the bushings are not an issue, they will not admit to inferior materials even though the reviews on their website have the same complaints from customers.

I asked if they could sell me just the bushings, the cost $93.00. Keep in mind the entire upper / lower control arm set is $159. This is outrageous, do you think they knew there was a problem now with the bushings? I asked if they could meet me half way, $50 credit on the $93.00 bushing kit.

Here is their reply:

Unfortunately, we do not offer discounts on our products. We work for you by comparing our prices versus our competitors and offering everyday low prices to all our customers. If you do find a competitor with a lower price, you may use our "Beat-a-Price Guarantee". We will beat any advertised price on an in-stock product, with proof of the advertised price, if the part is in stock at the advertised location.

For a list of current sales, specials, manufacturers' rebates and clearance items, please check out the Savings Central section of our website by following the link below:

http://www.summitracing.com/savingscentral/

I am very disappointed that a company will not stand behind their own product. The complaints on inferior bushings has been established but they are still declining any fault. The car was very hard to drive, the rear was falling over itself on turns. It was down right unsafe. Glad we didn't race the car like this.

I'd like to put the Steeda upper / lower set that I had on my previous 94 but they are $565 and just not in the budget. I still have to buy tires for the Cobra R rims. Oh well I'll come up with something to get the project moving again. Guess I'll order something through Jegs now.

Last edited:
UPDATE - We are at a stall with progress because of the Summit Upper / Lower Control Arm set (see pics on previous page).

Well Summit returned with a reply to the issue about their red house Upper / Lower Control Arm Set.

Apparently the bushings are not an issue, they will not admit to inferior materials even though the reviews on their website have the same complaints from customers.

I asked if they could sell me just the bushings, the cost $93.00. Keep in mind the entire upper / lower control arm set is $159. This is outrageous, do you think they knew there was a problem now with the bushings? I asked if they could meet me half way, $50 credit on the $93.00 bushing kit.

Here is their reply:

Unfortunately, we do not offer discounts on our products. We work for you by comparing our prices versus our competitors and offering everyday low prices to all our customers. If you do find a competitor with a lower price, you may use our "Beat-a-Price Guarantee". We will beat any advertised price on an in-stock product, with proof of the advertised price, if the part is in stock at the advertised location.

For a list of current sales, specials, manufacturers' rebates and clearance items, please check out the Savings Central section of our website by following the link below:

http://www.summitracing.com/savingscentral/

I am very disappointed a $500 Million Dollar company will not stand behind their own product. The complaints on inferior bushings has been established but they are still declining any fault. The car was very hard to drive, the rear was falling over itself on turns. It was down right unsafe. Glad we didn't race the car like this.

I'd like to put the Steeda upper / lower set that I had on my previous 94 but they are $565 and just not in the budget. I still have to buy tires for the Cobra R rims. Oh well I'll come up with something to get the project moving again. Guess I'll order something through Jegs now.
Seems like Jegs really likes Chevy products.

• Agree
Bad news, the Fiore Micro Click Firewall adjuster I bought off some dude on the Corral flaked. I paid but never heard from him again so 2+ weeks later I've filed a claim with PayPal. Some people suck! That's the best firewall adjuster ever made, I'll have to locate another.
I have a cheap fix that makes almost any firewall adjuster work as good or better than the Fiore firewall adjuster.
see below for the details...
I fixed the problem of the firewall adjuster being difficult to turn. I added a roller thrust bearing to the adjuster. Now it is easy to turn and since the adjuster has click stops built into it, there is no worry about it moving without me turning it. It cost about $8 plus the shipping.
attachments\574702

attachments\574703

attachments\574704

Use some wheel bearing grease on the meal races where they face the bearing. Then apply some to the nylon sleeve where it fits into the adjuster. This keeps everything lubed up and moving freely when you turn the adjuster. The wheel bearing grease won't melt or wash out due to the heat and moisture in the engine compartment.

www.mscdirect.com was the source for the parts

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 3 users
If I was in your situation, I would measure the bushings, and hit the Energy Suspension or Prothane catalog online for part numbers. Then order them from somewhere besides Summit.

That's exactly what I did. Hopefully they fit inside these cheap ass control arms. Next episode is me probably struggling to get the new bushings in. I'll do the hot water trick, I'll get these to work for sure.

Great idea with the bearing on the adjuster. Surprised I never thought of that solution.

Can you post a part number for that bearing ? I'll be doing the same thing.

I have a cheap fix that makes almost any firewall adjuster work as good or better than the Fiore firewall adjuster.
see below for the details...
I fixed the problem of the firewall adjuster being difficult to turn. I added a roller thrust bearing to the adjuster. Now it is easy to turn and since the adjuster has click stops built into it, there is no worry about it moving without me turning it. It cost about $8 plus the shipping.

Use some wheel bearing grease on the meal races where they face the bearing. Then apply some to the nylon sleeve where it fits into the adjuster. This keeps everything lubed up and moving freely when you turn the adjuster. The wheel bearing grease won't melt or wash out due to the heat and moisture in the engine compartment.

That's genius!

Great idea with the bearing on the adjuster. Surprised I never thought of that solution.

Can you post a part number for that bearing ? I'll be doing the same thing.

03380920 1 each 0.750X1.250X0.078 THRUST CAGE-NEEDLE ASSEMB
03381092 2 each 0.750X1.250X0.032 THRUST WASHER-NEEDLE-FLAT

That's genius!

It's not genus by any means. It's just simple application of a broad mechanical background. As long as it doesn't breathe or bleed, I'll attempt to fix it...:)

03380920 1 each 0.750X1.250X0.078 THRUST CAGE-NEEDLE ASSEMB
03381092 2 each 0.750X1.250X0.032 THRUST WASHER-NEEDLE-FLAT

It's not genus by any means. It's just simple application of a broad mechanical background. As long as it doesn't breathe or bleed, I'll attempt to fix it...:)
Will you settle for 'mechanical wizard'?

Love it. There's a reason almost every 5.0 that ever had an aftermarket exhaust put on it ended up with flows. Sounds great!

So much better than the SLP Loudmouth that it had. Plus the SLP 4" tips were hideous in my opinion. Now it sounds correct but best of all looks correct.

Thanks for watching. The reason I'm doing this on YouTube is so in 20 years my son and I can go back to watch us build it when he was 19 years old.

Great job!
now for the questions: did you replace the bushings in the rearend housing? Are those OSHA approved crocks your wearing?

The stock axle bushings remain, as you can see they are in great condition too :eek:. I'll address replacing them later when I bite the bullet and purchase Steeda upper / lower control arms ($550-ish). I'm pretty sure it will be sooner than later. Probably on my first drive. I need to get tires for my Cobra R rims first as the V6 rims are digging into my OCD.

Those Croc's are steel toe so there's that.

• Surprised