SN95 Rear end bolt up on fox body???

• Sponsors (?)

Yes they will bolt right up. When I first converted to 5-lugs I swapped in a rear-end from a 94 GT, but later switched to one out of a 98 Cobra, partially due to the fact that the 94 GT rear was not perfectly straight. The 94+ rear ends are a couple of inches longer than the fox ones. Both rear axles had stock 3.27:1 gear ratios. Hope that answers your questions. :nice:

what do you mean not sraight? was it damage from a wreck or the way it mounted?? what kinda of snags did you run into as far as adapters, park brake cables n such?? I have a 91 with 3:08 gears, I am going to 5 lug anyways so i figured if i could get a complete rear end with the right gears i could save some cash.

hi,
i had a question about this as well,where i live its pretty hard to find a gt in the bone yard's,so i was wondering what other option's i might have in rearends that would work for my 88 gt,i would like to have disk and a "373" "342" somewhere in there if at all possible,and would also prefer a 8.8 so i could buy the mini spoll to have full posi,thanks for your answer,and i didnt mean to get anyone off the subject at hand,just thought i would throw my question in since its around about the same topic,thanks again.
phil

p.s. as well what problems would i be looking at with e barke cables,and whatnot,i have to run full brake lines anyway,so that not any problem,thanks again.

Yeah, the first rear axle out of the 94GT was damaged goods, did not find out until it was installed and my rear tires were wearing extremely fast. I had the rear axle checked and it was toed in about 1" on each side. Luckily the scrap yard took it back and gave my money back. I found the 98 Cobra rear at another salvage yard for $450, but the would not sell any of the brake parts with it. So I purchased through ford all new parts. The cobra rear calipers are the same as the GT's. I purchased GT calipers because they had a lower list price, cobra mounting brackets, cobra rear rotors, brakes lines, and the parking brake kit for the M-2300-K 5-lug cobra brake conversion. When you purchase calipers new from ford they come will pads. The ones that come with the GT are different than the cobra ones, due to the fact that the GT uses a solid rotor versus the cobra using a vented rotor. I replace the pads with rear cobra Hawk HP+ pads.

Besides the rear axle swap fiasco, the only other issue I had was with the parking brake cables. They started to rub on the driveshaft, so I had to get some mounting brackets to secure them to the floorboard. The 5-lug conversion is a lot of work, but is well worth it when all is said and done. I saved about $500 just by buying the front spindles, hubs, and rear disc axle from a salvage yard. The M-2300-K is a big chunk of change come up with, but there are many ways you can piece that kit together and save money. I was also lucking to have a brother working at a local Ford dealership (employee discount) and a friendly tech willing to do all the work on the side. :nice:

pimpinphil said:
hi,
i had a question about this as well,where i live its pretty hard to find a gt in the bone yard's,so i was wondering what other option's i might have in rearends that would work for my 88 gt,i would like to have disk and a "373" "342" somewhere in there if at all possible,and would also prefer a 8.8 so i could buy the mini spoll to have full posi,thanks for your answer,and i didnt mean to get anyone off the subject at hand,just thought i would throw my question in since its around about the same topic,thanks again.
phil

p.s. as well what problems would i be looking at with e barke cables,and whatnot,i have to run full brake lines anyway,so that not any problem,thanks again.
If your going to stay with the 4-lug you can swap rear brakes off an 87/88 turbo coupe. If your going to 5-lugs you can use the axles out of ranger to save you some money. You can get away with cheap used parts, along as their not excessively worn. It just sucks to replace things twice when it could have been done right the first time, had you spent more $. Good luck!

91cobraR said:
If your going to stay with the 4-lug you can swap rear brakes off an 87/88 turbo coupe. If your going to 5-lugs you can use the axles out of ranger to save you some money. You can get away with cheap used parts, along as their not excessively worn. It just sucks to replace things twice when it could have been done right the first time, had you spent more $. Good luck!

Not really that simple. If you purchase axles that are not the correct length for the brake parts, it dont work!

I never said it was a simple task! That is why I choose to swap rear ends and save some hassle of tearing apart and rebuilding the stock one. Depending on what axles you use, some are different lengths and will need to be shortened to fit the housing. Sometimes it is just better to buy a complete kit!

I have evrythhing to complete the front to five lug via SN95 parts, I just for some reason feel like rear disk on a fox body would be kick a$$. The fox body brakes are a joke! Sounds like a nice winter garage project!

1993SSP said:
I have evrythhing to complete the front to five lug via SN95 parts, I just for some reason feel like rear disk on a fox body would be kick a$$. The fox body brakes are a joke! Sounds like a nice winter garage project!
It is definetly nice to have that reassurance ,when you hit the brake pedal, the car will stop safely even at high speeds.

Ok guys I read through this and I'm pretty sure my setup will work just want to double check. I have a 92 4 cyl auto. I have a 98gt V8 auto. Rear end is a little longer (which honestly should look cool with some big fatties back there) but otherwise will bolt right up. Spindles will work as well? Along with the rest of the brake assembly? It's the brake lines that and emergency brake components that I will have to find elsewhere?
I am probably going to do a mild 5.0 build and use it as a daily. I just prefer the better braking and rim options of 5 lug/disc brake setup
Thanks in advance and sorry if you're just repeating yourself. I'm a figure it out as I go type of car lover so sometimes I need things dummed down.

Ok guys I read through this and I'm pretty sure my setup will work just want to double check. I have a 92 4 cyl auto. I have a 98gt V8 auto. Rear end is a little longer (which honestly should look cool with some big fatties back there) but otherwise will bolt right up. Spindles will work as well? Along with the rest of the brake assembly? It's the brake lines that and emergency brake components that I will have to find elsewhere?
I am probably going to do a mild 5.0 build and use it as a daily. I just prefer the better braking and rim options of 5 lug/disc brake setup
Thanks in advance and sorry if you're just repeating yourself. I'm a figure it out as I go type of car lover so sometimes I need things dummed down.

You are wrong in your statement about two things:
The added length of the rear end will dramatically narrow you choice of rear wheels due to the fact that they'll have to have that much more negative back spacing to get the tires under the car.
And along the same lines, the width of your tire will not be anywhere near a " big fattie"....unless you plan to stuck the tire out past the wheel lip. Now that I think about it, you'll probably have a tough time keeping any width wheel under the car.

Reactions: 1 user
SN95 17x8 wheels fit fin. If you are happy wit that pretty much as your only choice in wheels unless you start getting custom wheels with deeper offsets, you'll be fine.

You can use the front brakes parts as well except sell the 96+ spindles off and get some 94-95 spindles.

The MC will also work, but the booster is incorrect. You'll need a 93 cobra or 94-95 booster (or try the stock booster)

E brake cables exist. LMR sells them. Not a big deal

You are wrong in your statement about two things:
The added length of the rear end will dramatically narrow you choice of rear wheels due to the fact that they'll have to have that much more negative back spacing to get the tires under the car.
And along the same lines, the width of your tire will not be anywhere near a " big fattie"....unless you plan to stuck the tire out past the wheel lip. Now that I think about it, you'll probably have a tough time keeping any width wheel under the car.
Ok I definetely don't understand why that would cause such a problem. But ok I'm gonna get rid of the parts car and just build this thing right with new stuff from the ground up

Ok I definetely don't understand why that would cause such a problem. But ok I'm gonna get rid of the parts car and just build this thing right with new stuff from the ground up
It's simple actually.
If the rear sticks out farther than stock, the wheel has to be negatively backspaced to put the tire under the car. there still has to be a certain amount of positive wheel in front of the axle flange.
In other words, a 10" wheel usually can be had with up to 7" backspacing. That leaves 3" in front of the axle flange that will hang out. If the rear is already 1-1/5-2" longer than stock, that means you'll have as much as 4" of wheel hanging out of the quarter.