Sniff Test Question

Rev Maynard

Dec 2, 2003
PA
Welp I had to go for the dreaded Pa State De-spection today and I
got :owned: by the sniffer :notnice:

Not sure what to do now. The car came with the full exhaust done. Frpp shorties, Bassani X/w cats, and Steeda catback :nice: and man do I love it.

I don't have the numbers but I think it failed everything.

So now what? :shrug: Any recommendations?
I know this is a stupid question but does testing the car cold make a difference?
Does testing a full operating temp help? I dunno I'm reaching here.........

• Sponsors (?)

The best way I've found to pass is to do a good tuneup if you haven't for a while, run good gas w/some sort of additive, and run the piss out of the car on the way to the test. For one thing, a cold engine usually runs rich, thus, more hydrocarbons (unburnt fuel). Also, those aftermarket cats are further downstream in your exhaust than the stockers were. Cats have to get really hot in order to work correctly. So, testing with a cold car will most definitely hurt you. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Just my $.02. Good luck! :nice:

Well I don't know how it works, because I live in FL with no emmisions test. But I thought you could go to most mechanics and they'll do the testing for you, and submit it to the state gov't. Once again, I could be wrong but I thought thats how it worked. So goto a mechanic you're friendly with or find one who does alot of performance installations, and simply tip him $30 or so before the test for "the great service you expect" ;)

That's kinda what I thought.

I forgot that I also had the timing bumped up to like 14. That prob doesn't help much either....

Oh well .. .. I'll fight the sniffer another day! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help!

dunno what they do in PA, but in CA(land of fruits and nuts) they do a lot of stuff. i know they check to make sure the EGR works, do teh sniffer at 2500 than at idle, do a full visual inspection. thats in the basic area where i live, in teh advanced areas they strap teh car to a dyno and do a loaded sniffer test and scan for codes. i know in CA the only legal midpipe is teh stock one, so aftermarket X, and H pipes that dont use all the stock cats will fail the car. most 4.6's that i saw at my work passed no problem. but those were mostly stock Mrk 8's that were babied by their owners. also before getting it checked, change your oil, its amazing what that will do to lower teh numbers. but ya you want it nice and toasty before bringing it in.