So......335 rwhp.......

sneaky98gt

10 Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
NC State University
is what my car made on the dyno earlier this past week. Some laugh, some scuff, and even I was a little, teeny tiny bit disappointed in it for a short period of time.

But alas, I got down to the track today:

1022992.jpg

12.05 @ 115!!!!! New best by a long shot! Plus a kick-ass reaction time!

And to back it up:

1022998.jpg

and

1023004.jpg

The DA out today was a nice -1300 feet. :D

Oh, and for people not familiar with my car, this is on a PI motor, 8 pounds of boost, mild blower cams, meth injection, CAI, and an offroad Prochamber. Car has the STOCK auto transmission (converter included), STOCK 3.27 rear gears, and NO weight reduction.

Those first 2 slips were done on my old tune for the NPI motor. It has a lot more timing in it down lower in the RPM range. Hence the better 60's and 1/8 traps. But it's richer up top because of the PI heads, which is why the 1/4 trap is down a bit.

The third slip (and all the rest on the day) were done on my most recent tune, which is MUCH safer and better than my old one. Overall, I'm very satisfied with it, as I trapped 117+ mph three different times (!!!). BUT, it still needs a little tweaking with the timing down low. My new tuner definitely is a little too conservative with the timing down low (<4000 rpm); even though I'm spraying meth during the burnout, and thus bringing the initial temps way down, it's still pulling some timing for a second or so before the meth starts to cool down the intake temp. This will cause it to bog off the line, resulting in slower 60's and ETs. I hoping to get that straight sometime this week, and once it is, this car will be as strong as it'll ever be in this setup. I REALLY like how well it pulls the entire way through the RPM range, especially up top.

I think at this point, a set of gears would easily put me over that 11.99 point. Probably going to get those done sometime after the first of the year.

Oh, since a few of us were were talking about methanol a couple weeks back. My new tune is setup so that it will pull a LOT of timing if the IATs go very high at all. In other words, if the methanol doesn't spray, it pulls timing and keeps it safe. Well, on one pass this afternoon, the methanol did not spray for some reason. The light was on, meth was in the tank, everything was fine, but for some reason it didn't spray. (On a side note, I think an incident like this is the reason my last motor blew up, as my last tune doesn't pull timing fast enough in a situation like this). So, the tune did it's job, pulled timing, kept it safe and everything was hunky dory. Well, except the performance of the car:

1023007.jpg

So on a tune that is SAFELY set up with and without methanol, I picked up 4 tenths and 7 mph with methanol. It'd be more like 5 or 6 tenths if the tune was right down low. I'd call that a worthy mod.

Whew! Long day, but the best I've felt about my car in a while.

Attachments

• 1022992.jpg
    1022992.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 1022998.jpg
    1022998.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 1023004.jpg
    1023004.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 1023007.jpg
    1023007.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Sponsors (?)

That is simply awesome, Will! Now your car is moving! Big congrats!!!!I told you meth is where it is at!!!!! The stuff is incredible and works awesome when dialed in correctly. Again, congrats!!

Horsepower numbers can be deceiving with a positive displacement car. They might not put out the numbers that a centrifugal does, but damn if that torque curve doesn't get you down the track in a hurry.

Thanks guys!

I honestly did not expect it to run this well. A guy in the area that used to have a VERY similar setup was down at the track yesterday with his T-bird. The only differences on his old car was that he was running stock PI cams, but had gears and a little better converter. He ran 11.9 @ 114 mph back then. Being that I didn't have gears or converter, I was honestly hoping for a 12.3ish at 114ish. Needless to say, I was blown away when my very first pass on the day was a 12.21 @ 115.5!

If you take my previous best times at this track, and account for the weather, I've gained 5-6 tenths and 7-8 mph from PI heads, 1 more pound of boost, methanol, and cams.

I still can hardly believe it trapped 117 on several occasions. That's approaching C5 Z06 territory, and it definitely does not seem that fast. I actually had one run versus a newer Corvette Grand Sport; not sure what he had done to it, but it was a lot. He trapped 128 mph to my 115, but only beat me by .2 seconds. I smoked him to the 1/8 mile. Beating faster cars is still one of my favorite things to do. :D

I had the spare tire/jack and passenger seat out for weight reduction, somewhere around 75 pounds total. Was on heavy 17x9 Cobra Rs with 275/40-17 tires all the way around.

Converter time!

Ha, I wish.

I definitely could have thrown in a converter and long tubes while I had the motor out last month. I'm just to the point where I'm happy with it, and I don't intend on keeping it a whole lot longer. Probably a year or so, and I don't see sense in throwing money at it that I'll definitely never get back out of it.

That being said, I'd love to see what it could do with slicks and skinnies, gears, and a converter. I think 11.50s wouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: 1 user
What other car are you considering?

Not sure yet. I'd like to have something a little more economical and roomy, but still fun to drive. This would be at least a year or so off, just something to drive until I finish college/get a steady paying job. I'm leaning towards a Mazdaspeed 3. 100+ trap in the 1/4 stock, good brakes, light, handles well (outperforms a WRX around the track), good fuel mileage, nice/spacious interior, etc. It is better than my Mustang in every way except a straight line, and I'm ok with that for a DD.

One day in the future after I've got a nice job, have become rich and famous and all that, I WILL have a twin turbo Sonic Blue 03 Cobra. And maybe a Race Red 2012 Boss 302 as a DD as well. :D

Not sure yet. I'd like to have something a little more economical and roomy, but still fun to drive. This would be at least a year or so off, just something to drive until I finish college/get a steady paying job. I'm leaning towards a Mazdaspeed 3. 100+ trap in the 1/4 stock, good brakes, light, handles well (outperforms a WRX around the track), good fuel mileage, nice/spacious interior, etc. It is better than my Mustang in every way except a straight line, and I'm ok with that for a DD.

Would you sell the Mustang to fund the purchase of said vehicle? If so, I'd recommend against it. You have a quick very unique car that has had much blood, sweat, and tears put into it. It probably isn't worth chit anyways :shrug:

One day in the future after I've got a nice job, have become rich and famous and all that, I WILL have a twin turbo Sonic Blue 03 Cobra. And maybe a Race Red 2012 Boss 302 as a DD as well. :D

:lol: good luck with that. Piece of advice from a wise old 29 year old ;) don't get married or have kids if you really want those things... I make damn good money for my age but having a family is f**king expensive. It's like $6000+/year for groceries (includes diapers and wipes), $3,000/year for medical expenses (my kids meds and Dr visits), $7500 for each year you have a baby (hospital charges for delivery, etc...), 401K (>$10K/year), health insurance is $3,600/year, house big enough to sleep all four of us is $18000/year (includes taxes and insurance), etc... then you add in car payments, car insurance, student loans, utilities, cell phones, and there really isn't much money left over for nice toys.... hell even going out to eat is expensive now. Wife and I could get a damn nice meal for $25-30 including alcohol. Now it costs us like $50 to go out to eat.

I am not really complaining because I chose to have a family instead of some nice toys. However, sometimes when I think about how much money I spend on this chit and the money we're missing out on because my wife works 1/2 days instead of full days so she can be home with the kids more, Jesus... I could have some DAMN fine toys!!! I'm talking Ski Nautique boat, a couple snow machines, a new truck, AND a fine toy (Boss 302, termi, etc...). *sigh*

Good news is I think we're done having kids, so by the time I turn 50 my two kids will be out of college and I'll hopefully be making some f**k you money that can be spent on some nice toys. I sure hope we still have performance cars running on gasoline in 20 years :(