So are coups supposed to be faster than verts?

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Louisiana
So are coupes supposed to be faster than verts?

One of my friends has a 5.0 convertable and he wanted to run me so we went and i smoked him by about 3 car lengths. What gives? My car is pretty much stock except for cobra roller rockers and straight pipes.

• Sponsors (?)

Verts are heavier than coupes obviously because of having no roof... they need to be reinforced to avoid frame twisting...

so yes, a stock coupe vs a stock vert, ideally the coupe should win.
if they're both standard, the vert make win by better driving?

By straight pipes do you mean no mufflers?? This may actually be hurting power!!! Do you have cats? If your running no muffs, and no cats that thing has got to be loud as all hell, if your running the cats the backpressure created by them may be saving some power for you, but get some good muffs on there.

WHITE94COBRA said:
By straight pipes do you mean no mufflers?? This may actually be hurting power!!! Do you have cats? If your running no muffs, and no cats that thing has got to be loud as all hell, if your running the cats the backpressure created by them may be saving some power for you, but get some good muffs on there.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding what you said but did you say he is gaining power from cats? No way in hell cats give you powers man.

no, what he means is that if this guy is running without either mufflers or cats, he's got absolutely no backpressure, but if he's running cats and no muff's, then there is still backpressure present, yet still not enough to do the job

I agree, get good mufflers if you have none...

xr8d302 said:
no, what he means is that if this guy is running without either mufflers or cats, he's got absolutely no backpressure, but if he's running cats and no muff's, then there is still backpressure present, yet still not enough to do the job

I agree, get good mufflers if you have none...

Thanks exactly what I mean:nice: :nice: :nice:

And then again some cars are just faster than others. I've beat a 5spd coupe before when I was bone stock and another with exhuast against one that also had exhuast. I know Scott (mo_dingo) was running 16's in his 5spd vert with exhuast and I ran 15's with exhuast. I know the vert is heavier, but not 1sec heavier. Some cars just run differently for whatever reasons.

No, I dont have mufflers. But I do still have the cats, yesterday I got my side pipes put on so the bend in that gives it a pretty good amount of back pressure. Before the side pipes the exhaust came out right under the seats, rattled the coins in the ashtray. But the pipes changed the sound completely, it has more "pop". IMO and all my friends it sounds awesome. And yes its loud. I can do like on hornblasters.com except I do it with my exhaust :D