So Confused On Trick Flow Heads?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes you can get 330 rwhp with the gt 40 set up. If you cant then you are a f'n moron and can't tune and build your crap right. A good 306 with that will make easy. But whatever, I just build crap like this all the time for people and dyno tune them. So I have no idea huh. A little porting and time and yes you can. What the hell do you think Ford's X302 crate motor is?

Funny, for a guy who claims to be such an expert, I find it odd that you don't know the difference between flywheel and rear wheel horspower, or GT40 iron heads and aluminum heads? And now you claim "just a little porting and time" is all that's needed. Man, where were you when I needed you with my last Fox body. I had ported and fully dressed E7TE heads and ported intake with my last bolt on Fox body and I couldn't even hit 300fwhp.

If you've got something to add, then by all means do so....but save the inflammatory comments for you buddies at the local cruise night. Dozens of guys on this site have run just the combination you proposed above and none of them are making anywhere close to the power you're claiming, nor are any of them "F'n Moron's". If you've got proof, then by all means, post it up. Otherwise, you really need to talk less and listen more.

fiveohlover.....prepare to be disappointed if you think you're coming anywhere close to your projected power aspirations following this guys advice. It'll certainly be an improvement over what you've got, but it'll fall waaaay short of your goal. Heed my words...or don't. My advice mirrors many of the others who posted in this thread. Stick with one of the middle of the road heads made by Trick Flow, or AFR, add some cubes to the mix and match it to a decent intake and you'll see your goal. You could do it with a 302, but if you plan on digging into the engine to change the pistons to raise compression anyway, you'll do it with a lot less effort and less aggressive compilation of parts if you add a little stroke to the mix while you're in there. It'll be a lot nicer car to drive on the streets too.

how much power will the tfs fac 190 make over the tfs 170 heads? And bout how much rwhp should it make then?
the 190's will make 500 flywheel maybe more with the supporting parts.out of the box they flow well.
http://static.trickflow.com/global/images/chartsguides/t/tfs airflow tw trkht 190.pdf
check out the new line of AFR heads. they have a new line of renegade heads. the 185 are badass for a little head.
http://www.airflowresearch.com/index.php?cPath=21_22
both of these mid level heads will meet your power goals at 302/306 c.i, fit in your budget, and if you do future upgrades bigger cam, more cubes etc, either head is capable of supporting 500 + flywheel with the right parts !
IF you decide to chose a smaller head, tw 170 or afr 165. they will meet your current power goal with good parts, but honestly it will be their limit without power adder. but they will hold you back.

Funny, for a guy who claims to be such an expert, I find it odd that you don't know the difference between flywheel and rear wheel horspower, or GT40 iron heads and aluminum heads? And now you claim "just a little porting and time" is all that's needed. Man, where were you when I needed you with my last Fox body. I had ported and fully dressed E7TE heads and ported intake with my last bolt on Fox body and I couldn't even hit 300fwhp.

If you've got something to add, then by all means do so....but save the inflammatory comments for you buddies at the local cruise night. Dozens of guys on this site have run just the combination you proposed above and none of them are making anywhere close to the power you're claiming, nor are any of them "F'n Moron's". If you've got proof, then by all means, post it up. Otherwise, you really need to talk less and listen more.

1. Brian, I find it interesting how you like to pick people's posts apart who've probably got more wrench time in now than you will ever. If you'll look at this guy's sig you'll see he's a tech at www.bieberfever.com in AZ. Have you ever heard of them? They are a pretty prestigious shop, and you don't get a job there by being an idiot. And for a living you're a.... private investigator, right?
You work on a lot of cars doing that?

2. Alot of people don't think this gent is the only one in this thread guilty of making inflammatory remarks.

3. Just because something's possible doesn't mean you have proof. I've laid down well over 330 with an old home ported set of ancient HIPO 289 heads. I woud kill to be able to find the old timeslip to prove it (if to noone else, just you) but over the last 18-20 years or so, it's been lost. I'm kinda feeling that even if I could, you'd find a way to argue about it..

4. Just because YOU CAN'T DO IT doesn't mean it's impossible..

5. This guy's not the only one who needs to talk less and listen more. You should reflect on that.

Reactions: 1 users
I would get the AFR 185's, trick flow cam, and a trick flow track heat. You will get what you are wanting to the rear wheels. I hope you are getting what you are looking for out of this thread bro. A lot of haters and morons on it. My shop has 3, 1/4 drag cars. a 2010 cobra jet that runs 6's, a 92 lx notch that runs 7.70@189, and a N/A 98 gt that runs 8.36 @ 164. I usually work on the 7 sec. car, but yet I have no idea what Im talking about huh. lol! PM bud and i will give you the numbers to our shop.

Yes I do know the difference between flywheel horse power and rwhp, cast iron head and aluminun. You guys heads arent any good with out a good cam. A cam is the brain of tthe motor. You guys are telling this man to run a stock cam, lol. No he needs a good cam to make any decent numbers from any head. I have also put these heads a a super flow flow bench. But whatever your just a damn lil cry baby that thinks if you cant do it then no one else can.

I would get the AFR 185's, trick flow cam, and a trick flow track heat. You will get what you are wanting to the rear wheels. I hope you are getting what you are looking for out of this thread bro. A lot of haters and morons on it. My shop has 3, 1/4 drag cars. a 2010 cobra jet that runs 6's, a 92 lx notch that runs 7.70@189, and a N/A 98 gt that runs 8.36 @ 164. I usually work on the 7 sec. car, but yet I have no idea what Im talking about huh. lol! PM bud and i will give you the numbers to our shop.

Ok I'll finally bite. Without any sarcasm and cynicism (feel like I've gotta make that distinction around here) why is it you strongly suggest the afr's over trick flows?

Thanks!

i went to trick flow's site to get their numbers and none.
205ccSBF.gif

Ok I'll finally bite. Without any sarcasm and cynicism (feel like I've gotta make that distinction around here) why is it you strongly suggest the afr's over trick flows?

Thanks!

For one, I would guess that later on pistons would be easier to deal with. You can't just throw any ol' piston in an engine and then slap twisted wedge heads on it with a big cam. They have to be twisted wedge specific. Look through Coast High Performance's engine kits, one version offers pistons for inline valves, which are growing on trees... and the other version is for the canted TW heads.. I would sure hate to severely limit myself to one brand like that incase I tore something up like dropping a valve, and was forced to have to pick up something cheap.

Don't get me wrong, twisted wedges are great heads, but they're not the end all-be all a lot of people on here think. I mean like it was stated before, 13.XX @ 106 mph? Damn, I'd be pissed if I spent that kind of money and that's all it did... Just sayin...

For one, I would guess that later on pistons would be easier to deal with. You can't just throw any ol' piston in an engine and then slap twisted wedge heads on it with a big cam. They have to be twisted wedge specific. Look through Coast High Performance's engine kits, one version offers pistons for inline valves, which are growing on trees... and the other version is for the canted TW heads.. I would sure hate to severely limit myself to one brand like that incase I tore something up like dropping a valve, and was forced to have to pick up something cheap.

Don't get me wrong, twisted wedges are great heads, but they're not the end all-be all a lot of people on here think. I mean like it was stated before, 13.XX @ 106 mph? Damn, I'd be pissed if I spent that kind of money and that's all it did... Just sayin...

Ed Curtis ground me a custom cam with loads of lift. I slapped on my TF heads and threw 13 lbs of boost at it. 500+ Hp later and just yesterday I was rodding the s hit out if it.

I was under the impression the tolerances on afr heads was less and many have complained about casting or machining garbage on afr. I haven't owned both so I ask for experiences. 99% of us aren't racing for a living so while we can pretend something like 10 Cfm is justification for a purchase, truly, it's a laughable reason for choice.

I also was under the impression if you want your heads massaged, tf has more room for this.

Lastly, this one is vague in my memory, I thought I read something about the deck on the tf heads being better/thicker.

All of this save for my personal experience could be wrong, that is why I'm asking. Always good to know from people who know more than myself.

Ed Curtis ground me a custom cam with loads of lift. I slapped on my TF heads and threw 13 lbs of boost at it. 500+ Hp later and just yesterday I was rodding the s hit out if it.

I was under the impression the tolerances on afr heads was less and many have complained about casting or machining garbage on afr. I haven't owned both so I ask for experiences. 99% of us aren't racing for a living so while we can pretend something like 10 Cfm is justification for a purchase, truly, it's a laughable reason for choice.

I also was under the impression if you want your heads massaged, tf has more room for this.

Lastly, this one is vague in my memory, I thought I read something about the deck on the tf heads being better/thicker.

All of this save for my personal experience could be wrong, that is why I'm asking. Always good to know from people who know more than myself.

Honestly, I wouldn't try to build anything without the help of a good cam grinder. It's how I made the "YOU CAN'T DO THAT BECAUSE 20 PEOPLE ON STANGNET SAID SO" power with some old cast iron heads... HAHA..
I couldn't tell you about TF having more room for massaging, but I have seen some AFR 225's ported ridiculously up in Houston. I was going to buy them for my son's windsor until I found out how much they'd been ported. They belonged to one of the NMRA racers around here, can't remember his name.
The deck, I think are about .500 on both brands.. But, Like you, all I know about them is from friends who run them, I don't have first hand experience w/them..

1. Brian, I find it interesting how you like to pick people's posts apart who've probably got more wrench time in now than you will ever. If you'll look at this guy's sig you'll see he's a tech at www.bieberfever.com in AZ. Have you ever heard of them? They are a pretty prestigious shop, and you don't get a job there by being an idiot. And for a living you're a.... private investigator, right?
You work on a lot of cars doing that?
2. Alot of people don't think this gent is the only one in this thread guilty of making inflammatory remarks.
3. Just because something's possible doesn't mean you have proof. I've laid down well over 330 with an old home ported set of ancient HIPO 289 heads. I woud kill to be able to find the old timeslip to prove it (if to noone else, just you) but over the last 18-20 years or so, it's been lost. I'm kinda feeling that even if I could, you'd find a way to argue about it..
4. Just because YOU CAN'T DO IT doesn't mean it's impossible..
5. This guy's not the only one who needs to talk less and listen more. You should reflect on that.
Allen, I find it interesting how whenever you're butt hurt with me, you look for any opportunity you can to follow me around the site and throw your .02. The fact that it was my post you singled out of the group of people that questioned this fellow lends further proof to your agenda. I’m sure we’ve gone down this road once or twice before and my automotive resume is out there for all to see….yet, here you are again..adding nothing to the conversation but gasoline and a match. Weren’t you the one who behind closed doors, demanded to staff that Shaoline Crane be removed from this site for doing just this thing to you just a few short months ago? How short our memory has become! :scratch:

To be honest, I really don't care where he's a tech. He was brash, condescending and basically called anyone that hasn’t done it, an idiot. Had he offered a little insight, or explanation to further his claims instead of the sarcasm he may have been taken more seriously and not gotten the responses he did, but he chose to lead with you’re a “F’n moron” instead. Now, I’ve not seen a single person come anywhere close to the OP’s requested 330-350rwhp levels with a junkyard GT40 top end, cam and stock stroke….let alone with ease and I’m betting you haven’t either? Many are struggling to see 300rwhp with these top end parts. If someone has any hard data to prove otherwise, I invite them to post it up for all to see, instead of lashing out at those who would remain skeptical. When making claims like that, with an attitude to boot….put up, or shut us is often the most appropriate response.

As for your 330rwhp claim through a set of 289 hi-po heads on a stock stroke 302 (you know…since that’s what we’re talking about after all)….well….see above. You gonna share your secrets with the rest of us, or just wow us leave us hanging in amazement? Tell us how you were able to extract 50-75hp more from your engine than the rest of us dummies? :shrug:

I really don’t care to argue with you Allen. I mean really…it sounds like you showed up in this thread more to talk :poo:, than you did to talk shop? Got an issue with me, register it with the complaint department. As for lxman….I’m dying to know what was involved in making these horsepower figures. I mean besides a little porting and time. You know…for all us F’n morons who can’t tune, or build our “crap” right? Seriously though…sarcasm aside, what’s the secret? I’ve got the GT40 top end, the die grinder ready and an open mind to use any cam grind you recommend. Don’t leave us hanging man. If I can best the Trick Flow top end horsepower figures by 20-30hp with a set of junk yard heads/intake, custom cam and some tuning I’m all ears and smiles. :shrug: