SO here it is....GT500 VS Camaro SS 2010

• Sponsors (?)

HAHA I've seen that video and that is prolly one of the biggest jokes I've seen.

I don’t want to sound like a fanboy but Motor Trend ALWAYS favors GM. If you watch the video around the 2:00 mark the Shelby is a solid 3 cars ahead then at the end its only a car a head. Hate to tell you but the faster you go the worse it gets for the Camaro. Plus that is one of the best recorded times I've seen for a Camaro and yet one of the worst times I've seen on a Shelby. The 07-09s ran mid-high 12s with a decent driver and they were 40hp less and only had 3.31 gears compared to the 2010s 3.55s.

Ive raced a 2010 SS 6spd in my 07 Shelby and I put around 5+ cars on it from 20-120 all while spinning in first and second and him getting the jump.

People can believe the BS the MT says but I've got real world experience with a lesser model GT500 and it wasn't good. Plus all you have to do is look on line and there is just a few people that have hit low 13s and even fewer (any?) that have hit high 12s STOCK. On average the SS is mid-low 13 sec car with a decent driver, not these magical 12.9s that these magazines keep hitting on fake dragstrips (ie long patch of road with a g-tech). The Camaros that have gone to real tracks aren’t pulling 12s and most trap around 2-3mph less too. 2007-2009 GT500s on the other hand are seeing mid-high 12s around 112-114mph.

Just my .02

Looked to me like the GT500 was pulling away pretty good once he passed the Camaro, just needs to hook better. It looks to me like the Camaro will be a serious track player and its going to take the 5.0 engine to get Ford the edge back at the GT level.

I think most ppl are pulling low mid 13s right now from the Camaro untill it gets broken in. Everyone I talk to all feel its a high 12 car. The GT500 is in my opinion a low 12car with ease. Hell with some slicks that badboy is running high 11s all day.

Hotrod and Motortrend are the two major mags ive seen pull high 12s with the rest pulling 13.0s. So it seems that o4 yellow gt is trying to go by average driver....which in that case puts the GT500 in high 12s low 13s if were being honest. When we get these track numbers from these mags its whats the car capable of doing....not what the average joe can pull.

Evan Smith runs 12.60s in the new GT500....he also said the tires just smoke or times would be better. Evans a superfreak when it comes to 1/4 times. So if Evans only able to hit 12.60 in the GT500, im sure your average driver is doing about 4-5 tenths slower at least.

lol motor trend does what the loyal blue wants and you got guys who make a notion that there editing track results. Why on earth would Motor Trend want the race to look closer than it was. A two and half car length is pretty good at 1320ft, and im sure the GT500 spreads that gap tenfold with some more track room.

I think most ppl are pulling low mid 13s right now from the Camaro untill it gets broken in. Everyone I talk to all feel its a high 12 car. The GT500 is in my opinion a low 12car with ease. Hell with some slicks that badboy is running high 11s all day.

Hotrod and Motortrend are the two major mags ive seen pull high 12s with the rest pulling 13.0s. So it seems that o4 yellow gt is trying to go by average driver....which in that case puts the GT500 in high 12s low 13s if were being honest. When we get these track numbers from these mags its whats the car capable of doing....not what the average joe can pull.

Evan Smith runs 12.60s in the new GT500....he also said the tires just smoke or times would be better. Evans a superfreak when it comes to 1/4 times. So if Evans only able to hit 12.60 in the GT500, im sure your average driver is doing about 4-5 tenths slower at least.

lol motor trend does what the loyal blue wants and you got guys who make a notion that there editing track results. Why on earth would Motor Trend want the race to look closer than it was. A two and half car length is pretty good at 1320ft, and im sure the GT500 spreads that gap tenfold with some more track room.

The only problem is, is neither Hot Rod nor Motor Trend ran the Camaro at a REAL track. They used a GPS system on just some stretch of track which can throw off the time drastically. Like I said its about as good as me or you running a G-Tech on some back road, in other words its not an accurate or official time. To my knowledge there hasn’t been a 12sec pass ran by a Camaro on a real 1/4 mile track.

Evan Smith ran the 2010 GT500 at Infineon Dragway on an unprepped track with a 20mph head wind. The head wind alone is good for .1 maybe .2 and the unprepped track for Shelby that already had traction problems with less hp and gear could be huge. We also know Evan drove a 100% stock 08 KR to 11.9@120 at Atco (which we know is a best case scenario run) and with slicks he ran 11.5@122. The only difference between the KR and GT500 is the KR has 3.73s compared to the 2010s 3.55s.

Sorry but Motor Trend is a joke they hate on Fords when ever they can. I canceled my subscription when I read the issue that had the 07 GT500s first test drive where they said they disliked the GT500s blower whine. The next article was about a new AMG where they said how much they loved the blower whine. I’ve also read where they praised the ZR1s whine. So the question is what the hells different from the Ford’s compared to the ZR1 or AMG other than the whine is coming from a Ford.

Watch the video again, as soon as the GT500 hooks up its starts moving out. There are a few shots where the GT500 is already out a solid three cars and still pulling yet when the race is over the GT500 lost almost a car length lead. Numerous people have said the same thing about the video.

I remember that issue, it was in the cons portion. Something to the effect of Cons: whiney engine..almost as if they really didnt know it was supercharged...
Posted via Mobile Device

O4yellowGT, I agree about MT. Everyting I read about them seems to be bashing Ford. When the SRT8 Challenger came out, they had an article comparing both. The Ford was faster, pulled more G's, and they still picked the Dodge as the winner. I quit reading them about that time. Road and Track and Car and Driver seem to give more honest answers and opinions, even though they seem to be biased towards BMW above all.

Even the audio on this video talks about how this is an unfair comparison, but the Ford guys screamed for the Shelby. The Shelby compares to the SS as well as the SS compares to the GT! Motor Trend can kiss my a$$!

Ill have to look back on some of those MT Issues and see what I get out of it. I would hope they wouldnt hate on one of our few american automakers that make a great car like the shelby.

I hear your opinion and you have a valid point on the times. I guess we'll have to see if these guys can pull those high 12s with the break in period they keep talking about. Ill be sure to keep up on it for sure though. Even if it is a low 13s car....Thats still pretty darn quick and Ive seen the camaro post a 12.56 with just a tune and CAI on an "Official Track". So the potential is really good.

Ill have to look back on some of those MT Issues and see what I get out of it. I would hope they wouldnt hate on one of our few american automakers that make a great car like the shelby.

I hear your opinion and you have a valid point on the times. I guess we'll have to see if these guys can pull those high 12s with the break in period they keep talking about. Ill be sure to keep up on it for sure though. Even if it is a low 13s car....Thats still pretty darn quick and Ive seen the camaro post a 12.56 with just a tune and CAI on an "Official Track". So the potential is really good.

Like I said I'm not trying to be a fan boy but just honest to what I see. MT and C&D all favor certain brands, GM, Toyota, Lexus and Honda being a few they always favor over others no matter what.

I'm not saying 12s are impossible by a stock SS I'm just saying its going to take one hell of a driver. Its not going to be ran by some average joe that can driver pretty decent. It doesn't take away from the car still because it’s a great bang for the buck. If the weight would have been less and there were a few interior and exterior changes I would have really been interested in one. I can't wait to see a H/C/I run at the track.

I saw the camaro that ran 12.56 and that’s really impressive and very good driving on his part. His trap speed though shows how off the magazines are. There is no way in hell that a stock SS is going to trap just 1mph less that an intake tune camaro. The only way that would happen is if the SS spun hard off the line but that couldn't be because they pulled out of it. It just shows how things just don’t add up on the magazine tests.

I'd say 12.6's in the new GT 500 hasn't even come close to tapping its potential...and I'll tell you why. He ran a [email protected] hot lapping at Milan Dragway in a bone stock 500hp (not 540hp like the 2010) GT500 back in 2006. And that was with a string of mid/low 12-second time slips to back up his run. Hell, he ran 12.6's with the traction control on.

500 Horsepower 2007 Shelby GT500 Proves to be Quickest Mustang Ever - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords